Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Evidently the hood on my new 20 3500 traps and holds water. Every time i need to open the hood it seems a good bit of water drains out the back edge. Has anyone one else noticed this problem? Didn't notice this during the dry summer but there has been quite a bit of rain in the last few weeks. Not sure how the water would even get in unless thru the badges on the sides. Truck is completely stock. It did this today when i checked the oil, last rain was 4-5 days ago.

·
Registered
7,394 Posts
Evidently the hood on my new 20 3500 traps and holds water. Every time i need to open the hood it seems a good bit of water drains out the back edge. Has anyone one else noticed this problem? Didn't notice this during the dry summer but there has been quite a bit of rain in the last few weeks. Not sure how the water would even get in unless thru the badges on the sides. Truck is completely stock. It did this today when i checked the oil, last rain was 4-5 days ago.
that’s not good, I have a feeling these aluminum hoods are going to corrode fast.

Reactions: Electrojake

·
Registered
13 Posts
Two days ago I opened the hood on my ‘19 and had water in it.
I had to drain the water from the rear door on my wife’s expedition also.

·
Registered
19,095 Posts
Meh, it's just a feature to make them grow even more bulbous once the water in there freezes.
For now, the water only serves to make it flop less at speed.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Mine does it also, I always lift the hood after i wash it to drain the hood.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Meh, it's just a feature to make them grow even more bulbous once the water in there freezes.
If it flops at speed on the highway, the owner's manual specifically says to check the water level in the hood because it's probably low.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Man, can American engineers build anything right anymore ?

Reactions: krs

·
Registered
184 Posts
If I were you boys I'd check and make sure your 2500/3500 badges are seated fully. It's a poor design as water can easily enter there if they aren't seated fully. So far I've not yet had this issue but I've only had the truck since July, although I did swap the chrome badges for black myself.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
When i get the chance i will take mine in and have them look at those hood badges. I believe its the only place water would be likely to get in. If they happen to not care of the issue then silicon will be plan b, all that trapped stagnant water cant be good.

·
Registered
3,776 Posts
If it flops at speed on the highway, the owner's manual specifically says to check the water level in the hood because it's probably low.
Best to keep it topped up for sure. In case of emergency if nothing else. Stranded in desert....hood water will keep you alive. Blown rad hose?....top off and make it to town. Small grass fire?;;;;You guessed it, fire suppression system.
Idk honestly why RAM doesn't market these great features! They could put it right under the "Why only 6 speeds are better on the lowest revving engine in the industry" feature.

Reactions: krs, Lins and Zinga

·
Registered
380 Posts
Evidently the hood on my new 20 3500 traps and holds water. Every time i need to open the hood it seems a good bit of water drains out the back edge.
I can't believe RAM hasn't fixed this stupid design. Since I have had my truck, I have had to open my hood and drain the water out of the hood liner after every heavy rain. Now, here is something you might want to keep an eye on. I have a light under the hood and that is where water will pour out of. Originally, I didn't know this was happening as I wasn't opening my hood too often, especially after rain. So, it wasn't long after owning this truck that I had my turbo hose clamps rust out and needed to be replaced. I couldn't understand how they could have rusted out so fast, and were not stainless steel. Dealership had to replace the whole hose assembly just because of the clamps. Anyway, after that I could see that the water coming out under the hood liner light would pour right there where the clamps are. It was pretty obvious what was happening. I never had any other issues with this as I always drain the water out now. Real funny about hearing this with the new trucks.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Drill some drain holes. Do what the engineers forgot to do. Should we have to? No. Will it save you grief? Yes.

·
Registered
3,994 Posts
I really hope we get to see a picture of one popped this winter.

·
Registered
19 Posts
How are u guys draining your hoods. Its been raining up here for 4 weeks non stop and I checked my hood this morning around the badges and cant find any water draining out anywhere.

·
Registered
407 Posts
First two sentences in the first post of this thread:
Evidently the hood on my new 20 3500 traps and holds water. Every time i need to open the hood it seems a good bit of water drains out the back edge.
Maybe it drains out magically when he needs to open the hood. But I'm fairly certain it drains out when he actually opens the hood.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Wouldn't drain the hoods on the new trucks just yet. A new, revised hood may become available. And if you drain the old one, dealer might say it never held water in the first place.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts