Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Banned
1,737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been thinking about using a fuel pump out of like a neon, an adjustable fuel pressure regulator, and a fuel injector out of a neon to create a water injection system. I would run the pump off of a WOT switch and the injector off of a boost switch or a button, so u mash the gas, the fuel pump comes on and presurizes the system, and when you reach the correct boost, the injector opens. Injectors are made to create a very fine spray pattern. I figured that I could mount the injector directly infront of the compressor wheel on the turbo. The adjustable fuel pressure regulator would keep the meth/water at the desired PSI and allow the fuel pump to run for extended periods of time (w/ return line). Anyone's input?:thumbsup

· Registered
18 Posts
I don't think the fuel injector would work I would think the water would tend to plug it up. I got a buddy of mine that made his own injection system using a starter motor off of some toyota and a powerwasher pump. The nozzel I can't remeber where he got it from. I want to say he ordered it from a coumpany that makes a system. Also I would think you would want it injecting the water closer to the intake that way it would still be atomized. Instead of running it through the intercooler. Just my 2 cents.

· Banned
1,737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
well I can't find this one's guys post, but he ran it before the turbo and his boost jumped from 35~psi to around 42psi, egts dropped a lot and he accoplished something like 60-80hp more on the dyno. What about the fuel pump? what do you think about using that?

· Registered
523 Posts
I am sure you are a real smart guy and got some plans, but its not worth messing up. Their are some really good retailers out there that will give you a great deal if you sit and talk to them. I was wanting to do the same thing but the money I spent compared to the time I would have wasted finding parts, building it, installing it, and then trouble shooting, I made out way better just buying from the pros. Plus these guys give warrantys!

If you still want to build it this is what I think. Shurflo pump 150psi, about 20ft 1/4in. 200psi hose, BUY!!! the injector nozzles and holders from someone(14 gph and 5 gph) Double nozzle injection is the way to go with Diesels, and rig it all up with quick release connectors. Then run your 12v wire > In cab on/off switch > Inline fuse > Shurflo Pump. Also you need to place a check valve at the end of your hose right before the injectors to ensure your air is not vaccumin water out while the pump is in the off position.

Hope this helps.

· Banned
1,737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yea, its just the money....lol, I'll probably buy this kit from a guy I know (snowperformance) I was just brainstorming cuz a was surfing aournd one night an came across a guy who made his own and injected it before the turbo???? wierd, but I cant find the post again, I was just wondering if it would work. But I am probably getting a real kit now that everyone is cautioning me, Thanx though!

· Registered
523 Posts
Well if I am understanding you, running water injection pre turbo you are talking about connecting a nozzle on the exhuast manifold before it goes into the hot side of the turbo. I see two problems with this, 1) If you dont have the right flow and the water does'nt burn off then you risk back preasure to push water back into the cylinders. 2) Their will be no reason to run methanol because it will have no effect on cooling or creating HP, plus most guys run injectors on the intake manifold so they wil create more boost + HP. I think that is what you are asking.

Benefit of double injectors is you can control the flow with two nozzles. Large with a small or medium with a small. Our engines just run to hott for singles that were designed for some 4 cly. ricer and we could always use a lil more boost right.

If you are planning on buying the kit from Snow, you should check around at other companies for the same product at a cheaper price. Chance @ Devils Own will set you up for about half the price as other people can. If you want to build your truck later you will not be in trouble seeing as the water/meth kits can grow with your truck. Who ever you get it from think of it as buying a insurance policy for your turbo that adds boost and HP.

· Registered
175 Posts
water opinion

I personally don't like the nozzle infront of the compressor wheel idea, unless you have a extremely high pressure pump and a really fine nozzle. Even still i think this location should only be used to cool the wheel itself and the majority of the water should be injected right after the turbo before the intercooler to insure that the water is changed to steam before the air charge is cooled thru the intercooler. On my pulling tractor i use a 1000psi pump and use three nozzles as close to the turbo as possible and have really small injector that I can install in each cylinder for balance reasons. Keep in mind that i can't run a intercooler at all:CRY:.

· Registered
523 Posts
The only problem you have would be the intercooler. Once the water gets in there and never evaperates you will be losing space creating more heat in the end. Now I am sure someone will correct that statement but that is what I believe. You always want to inject water post intercooler. Here is some info I found on the web about it.

1 Pre-Turbo water
We don't recommend this location at all. Locating the nozzle here is the most controversial location. The majority of alcohol/water injection users do not use this location. One reason for someone to inject at this location is the water/methanol mixture chemically alters the turbo compressor map. The water/methanol injection will dynamically shifts the compressor map of the turbo so that it has the compressor map exhibits the characteristics of a larger turbo. This sounds great but, the main issue with pre-turbo nozzle placement is what mixture can damage the compressor blade if the mixture is not properly atomized when passing through the turbo.

In order to inject pre-turbo with out compressor damage you need a high quality low volume nozzle and high enough pressure to get the water as finely misted as possible, and the smaller nozzle which allows for smaller/finer water droplets. We recommend if using this location to aim the nozzle directly at the compressor nut.

2 Pre-Intercooler

Pre-intercooler seems like a sensible nozzle location but, the thing to think about is if the air entering the IC is pre-cooled, the ability of the intercooler is because the temp difference is lesser. It is also possible for the fine water/alcohol mist to collect in the bottom of your intercooler core. We don't recommend this location either. The other problem is that there's a possibility that the hot air from the turbo might unnecessarily vaporize the water and take up some of the volume built up by the turbo that was supposed to be for the charge. Pre-IC does work for some track cars such as road racing that operate at a more constant higher RPM. For the daily driver, weekend racer, the pre-intercooler location should not be considered.

· Premium Member
3,328 Posts
If you build a system, you want to use a nozzle off of something like a farm sprayer. You don't want to use a fuel injector nozzle, pressure is way to high.

Most of the kits inject water post turbo. Water is very corrosive (see the Grand Canyon) and would have adverse effects impacting your turbo compressor turning 20,000 RPM's.

I to have read the thread that included pictures of the nozzle spraying on the compressor wheel, but I wouldn't go that route.

· Banned
1,737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'm not really worried about injecting the water/methanol before the turbo, as there have been many factory cars that run the carb before the turbo, running the fuel through the turbo (ie. the 1980 Turbo trans am my girl has) and have ran over 150,000 miles with no sign of wear on the compressor wheel (we're doing a complete build up). I was also reading up on a guy that used two cold start injectors to run his water injection on his 88' Thunderbird Turbocoupe for thousands of miles.... just an instance that I googled, lol

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.