Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone ever make KDP tabs? If so what thickness material do you use. And can you use the same bolt? I can make one pretty easy if I use the right steel, or aluminium.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Im givin some away that I had cut on a plasma table. Worked fine with the stock bolt, they are cut out of 10 gauge(about 1/8 thick)

·
Registered
526 Posts
i used 1/8 inch strap I had laying on the shop floor lol wire wheeled it clean, cut a lage pie shape (by large I mean about 3/4'' long, 1'' long att he base), drilled a hole for the bolt, and used a bench grinder to shape it. I used a little bit longer bolt with a lock washer and red loctite...call me paranoid

·
Registered
61 Posts
Im givin some away that I had cut on a plasma table. Worked fine with the stock bolt, they are cut out of 10 gauge(about 1/8 thick)
Your Just Givvin Them Away?
Ill Take One. If They Are Free.
Later N|ck

·
Premium Member
16,205 Posts
I used to make them by grinding down a fender washer until I found out that Cummins was selling them for 93¢ each.
I asked for a dozen of them, the counter guy just gave them to me no charge.

Tab making instructions here> http://dodgeram.org/tech/dsl/Dowel_Pin/tab.htm

I've found most times you don't even need a tab if the dowel pin is pounded in below flush.
Just peen over the edge of the hole with a punch.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for the info

·
Registered
96 Posts
I used to make them by grinding down a fender washer until I found out that Cummins was selling them for 93¢ each.
I asked for a dozen of them, the counter guy just gave them to me no charge.

Tab making instructions here> Ram Diesel KDP retainer

I've found most times you don't even need a tab if the dowel pin is pounded in below flush.
Just peen over the edge of the hole with a punch.
do you happen to have a part number for a cummins tab? for $.93 its not worth makin one... i called my local cummins dealer and he had no clue what i was talkin about :banghead:

·
Registered
723 Posts
ya if they are being given away i could use one as well.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
they can be made out of anything.

i made mine out of a clothes hanger. just cut what i needed off the hanger. twisted it around the bolt and had the end go over the KDP. so basiacally it looks like a "6"

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
I also used 0.125" flat stock 6061 aluminum. I cut it to length and ground it I to the shape of a camshaft lobe and drilled the hole for the bolt. I had tons of metric bolts since I work on toyotas so I just grabbed whatver threaded into the block and was 1/8" longer than stock.

Teardown and reassembly was a bigger pain than actually doing the tab mod itself.

But bill has a great idea. Just peen/stake the bore of the dowel pin!

·
Registered
906 Posts
cummins part number for the tab, they gave me mine
p/n 3058017

·
Registered
3,548 Posts
I used a Cummins tab on mine and the stupid thing is as thin as a piece of tin foil.

I know it doesn't need to restrain a herd of lions or anything, but it provides ZERO peace of mind. They could've used something a LITTLE thicker and it'd still be cheap to make.

And it's shaped like a capital "L" and the long part isn't quite long enough so it doesn't lock into the corner of the case to prevent rotating out of position if the bolt holding it happens to loosen. I used red Loctite (only s'posed to use blue, but the tab was so janky I needed SOME peace of mind) to hold the bolt.

Make sure to tighten all other bolts that are accessible in the case. Especially the two behind pump gear (or is it the cam gear?). They fall out and damage as much as the KDP does.

·
Registered
96 Posts
thanks for the reply. called my local cummins dealer and they said that number was no longer good :confused013:

oh well guess ill get to makin one :party018:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts