Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5,963 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm tired of smelling the fumes from my crankcase vent. I already hooked a hose to it and ran it out to the back of the truck but what I am now thinking is about getting some brass fittings and drilling a hole in my tailpipe, putting an elbow facing the rear of the truck INSIDE the tailpipe, and then connecting the hose to the nipple that would be on the outside. I guess my question is, by putting the elbow facing the rear would this not create a vacuum to suck the fumes and smoke from the vent tube? My plan also includes NOT having the hose shoved up inside the vent tube anymore but instead I was going to cut it so it just meets the vent tube but with a little breathing room. If there truly is a good vacuum created then it would likely suck 95% of the fumes and smoke up(my estimation). Any of you rocket scientists have a theory on this?

And my rings are fine so please don't tell me to get a bunch of tests done. It's just a little blowby that you can only see at night but it smells (Rosmella) all the time...:thumbsup:

·
Registered
2 Posts
that sounds like a good idea, the only thing i wonder about is to much vacuum, possible sucking oil out? But I agree about the smell. maybe some one else has experience with this.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
As long as you have very little back pressure you should be ok. I'd put about a one inch diameter elbow into the pipe with about 3 or 4 inches pointed downstream inside the exhaust pipe, anything smaller than that probably wouldn't create much of a siphon effect (as per Bernoulli's principle). Should work just like an aspirator on a tractor. I would definitely test it out before I hooked it up to the breather tube. You don't want it to push exhaust into the crankcase and start pushing oil out of all the seals.

·
Premium Member
7,078 Posts
This is what you need minus the valve cover breathers.
JEGS Performance Products 52210 JEGS Crankcase Evacuation Kit
The exhaust nipples NEED to be installed at the correct angle to create the venturi to pull the crank case vapors out. These also have a built in check valve to keep exhaust gasses from going back up and creating pressure in the crank case.

·
Registered
467 Posts
when i use to run rotella I had the same problem. I switched to premium blue about 2 years ago and haven't had any problems since. Wish I would have switched sooner.

2,770 Posts
I sure wouldn't run a bunch of hose under the truck to try to connect it to the exhaust.

As other's mentioned, different engine oils will smell less & even the Rotella smell will stop after about 500 miles after the oil change.

Also, here is another option... View attachment Blowby_Smell_Vent_Fix.pdf

·
Registered
5,963 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah, I don't always run the Rosmella but kind of had to this time and it was synthetic too so it will be a while before I change it again. I have been running a hose to the rear of the truck for around a year now and it works fine but I'd rather have the fumes/smoke exiting with the exhaust then slowly coming out of the hose.
If I did this then I would have a small gap between the engine vent hose and the hose I have added. That way it could not clog or suck oil out of the engine.
I don't know though. Maybe it's not worth the hassle. Maybe I'll just leave it the way it is.....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts