Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your truck HERE to be a part of December's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've looked but could not find a directions for a template to put on my truck to help it stay warm. Can anybody help with a link to one? I'm tired of very little heat on the 12 mile drive to work in the mornings. I know it's not -10 degrees here in south Texas( but it has been in the 30's and 40's a lot lately).
Thanks.

·
Registered
3,757 Posts
I think the plastic "yard sign" material is better. Should be able to pic it up at home depot/lowes….I made one out of cardboard a few weeks back….one day in the rain & it was ruined :thumbsup:

*However I mounted mine to the grill

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
Since it is a little harder to get anything between the IC and radiator, your best option would be to get a winter front. There are some for sale in the For Sale section. I have seen one truck run his all year long here in Colorado. 100°+ days.

·
Registered
62 Posts
We see some pretty cold temps here and with a 10 min warmup and the 6 mile drive to work I see 175*. Its usually 130* or so when I leave home and the cab is warm if I remember to turn the blower on. I thought about a winter front but I actually can't see needing it. In 10 miles of highway driving I'm up to over 200*.

·
Registered
738 Posts
My dad had one made at a local upholstery shop for his 91, took the truck in and they made a template quick and put it together with tarp material. Took them a couple days, and if I remember correctly it only cost him $30-40.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
not sure why your truck doesn't warm up in 12 miles. I don't have the winter front, and it only takes about 4 miles for mine to be up to operating temperature, and that's when it's in the negative digits outside (coldest I've seen so far is 21 below this winter), and not plugged in. I'd check your thermostat to ensure it's still working correctly..

·
Registered
125 Posts
not sure why your truck doesn't warm up in 12 miles. I don't have the winter front, and it only takes about 4 miles for mine to be up to operating temperature, and that's when it's in the negative digits outside (coldest I've seen so far is 21 below this winter), and not plugged in. I'd check your thermostat to ensure it's still working correctly..
Not sure if youre deleted but if not it takes a deleted truck longer to warm up. That dpf really helps a lot when it comes to how quick a cummins builds heat.

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
Not sure if youre deleted but if not it takes a deleted truck longer to warm up. That dpf really helps a lot when it comes to how quick a cummins builds heat.

My deleted truck is warm in the cab by the time I get to the highway, which is right at 3 miles from my driveway. Most of that 3 miles is at 55 mph. So, I agree with the above poster that said if it's not getting warm in 12 miles then something is wrong.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Nothing wrong with his truck. It's a diesel and they take a while to really get warm if it's cold. Maybe you drive to work uphill and he doesn't. Ther is many variables to consider not just "there is something wrong with his truck". My commute is all down hill and after 9 miles my truck is still below 150 degrees but going home it's all uphill and will make temp quick.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
When I say warm, I mean at least one cycle of the thermostat-opening at 210 or so. It does get to about 170-180 by the time I get to work. If I take another route, about 22 miles, it will cycle the thermostat. I guess I'm just being cautious about not running the engine hard prior to it warming up.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I drive about 10 miles to town. I have a factory winterfront with the bottom portion removed. I start my pickup and let it idle 7-8 minutes before I leave when it is cold out.
My first 2½ miles are downhill on a very curvy road with a 35 mph speed limit. By the time I reach the county road the temp is usually about 130º. At that point I slowly ease up to highway speed. By the time I get to town my temp is usually around 180º. Before I deleted it would be fairly warmed up by the time I reached the county road and that was without the winterfront. Deleting does make a difference on how quick it warms up. The nice thing about the VGT turbo is that it is water cooled and the water flows from the turbo directly to the heater core. Even though the engine has not warmed up a lot, there is warm air coming from the heater.

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
My deleted truck is warm in the cab by the time I get to the highway, which is right at 3 miles from my driveway. Most of that 3 miles is at 55 mph. So, I agree with the above poster that said if it's not getting warm in 12 miles then something is wrong.

Correction. I checked it this morning. It was 46 degrees at my home north of Austin when I left the house. The first half mile of my drive is getting out of my neighborhood at less than 30 mph. The next 2.5 miles is cursing at 55 mph with mild up and down grades. After that I was on the highway cruising at 73 mph. My truck hit 217 degrees at the 7.5 mile mark before the thermostat opened up. Given that and the fact that the OP is in the same area as me climate-wise, I'd say 12 miles isn't out of this world depending on his driving conditions.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Correction. I checked it this morning. It was 46 degrees at my home north of Austin when I left the house. The first half mile of my drive is getting out of my neighborhood at less than 30 mph. The next 2.5 miles is cursing at 55 mph with mild up and down grades. After that I was on the highway cruising at 73 mph. My truck hit 217 degrees at the 7.5 mile mark before the thermostat opened up. Given that and the fact that the OP is in the same area as me climate-wise, I'd say 12 miles isn't out of this world depending on his driving conditions.

How are you monitoring coolant temperatures? My third gen gauges aren't very accurate/easy to read.. And I had never seen coolant temperatures of over 190* when I had my Mini Maxx.
Do you have the original thermostat in your truck?
What kind of temps do you see on a long haul on the highway?
What do your temps settle at when you are idling?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
646 Posts
I drive about 10 miles to town. I have a factory winterfront with the bottom portion removed.
Why is your bottom portion removed?

·
Cummins Fan
2,176 Posts
How are you monitoring coolant temperatures? My third gen gauges aren't very accurate/easy to read.. And I had never seen coolant temperatures of over 190* when I had my Mini Maxx.
Do you have the original thermostat in your truck?
What kind of temps do you see on a long haul on the highway?
What do your temps settle at when you are idling?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Third gens have a 190* thermostat. 4th gens have a 200* thermostat. Highest I've seen on mine is 214 I think.

·
Registered
239 Posts
CHILL6.7..my bottom portion is removed because we have to display a front license plate in my state. Even though the lower portion has provisions for this it is a pain to use. Removing the lower portion is easy by simply pulling out the red thread. It is called the snow plow option. It does leave the slot in the bumper uncovered which allows air into the radiator, but the temps rarely and almost never drop below zero here, so even with the bottom portion removed most of the radiator is covered and is adequate for my region.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts