Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been meaning to get around to making some nerfbars/steps for the money pit since I adopted it in Oct, finally got around to doing it.

I don't like the normal running boards, and I liked the looks of the n-fabs, just hated the mounting system they have, so why not build my own...

I was pretty lucky, had some tubing laying around from previous projects so I used a little scrap up. I used 1.25" tubing for the steps and 2" for the main bar. They attach to 3 of the brackets on the frame for the body mounts with a couple of 3/8" bolts. I wasn't thrilled about drilling holes in the frame, and there really aren't that many in the frame to use so I figured that would be good enough.

Here's a few build pix.
High tech custom jig
By golly they actually turned out the same size! I wish I had a tubing notcher, but I don't, so I used the universal notcher (grinder).
Mocking them up. I believe I was in the process of welding the tubing that goes from the mount bolted onto the body mount to the main tube. Or I was taking a quick nap, I don't remember.
Would be easier if I had a bit of a lift on the truck!
Thrown in the corner waiting for Line-X
Completed project

Didn't turn out too bad I don't think especially for the minimal cost. The Line-X by far was the most expensive part, I about choked when the quote was $180. But not much for options around here, and I didn't want them painted or powder coated.

I've probably got around $20 in materials that I had to get that wasn't laying around the shop. Took me the better part of a weekend to complete them, but that was with a lot of distractions, and not working too hard on them. I'd guess somewhere in the neighborhood of 8-10 hours of labor building them, and an hour to put them on (man that sucked, a tid bit long and heavy for a one man install).

They are a lot sturdier than I expected, I can bounce on the steps and they barely move... and I've got a lil fluff to me lol.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm spoiled by a huge monitor, so I try to be considerate of others with lesser monitors, and don't want to take up the screen with one picture. Besides, a lil click keeps the beer calories away! haha.

I personally had no problems with the stepless truck, but I seem to have a lot of midget friends. And it was fun watching them jump into the truck, but I know eventually they won't be able to make it and I'd have to help them in the truck. :hehe:

Thanks for the kudo's fellers!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts