Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been meaning to get around to making some nerfbars/steps for the money pit since I adopted it in Oct, finally got around to doing it.

I don't like the normal running boards, and I liked the looks of the n-fabs, just hated the mounting system they have, so why not build my own...

I was pretty lucky, had some tubing laying around from previous projects so I used a little scrap up. I used 1.25" tubing for the steps and 2" for the main bar. They attach to 3 of the brackets on the frame for the body mounts with a couple of 3/8" bolts. I wasn't thrilled about drilling holes in the frame, and there really aren't that many in the frame to use so I figured that would be good enough.

Here's a few build pix.
High tech custom jig
By golly they actually turned out the same size! I wish I had a tubing notcher, but I don't, so I used the universal notcher (grinder).
Mocking them up. I believe I was in the process of welding the tubing that goes from the mount bolted onto the body mount to the main tube. Or I was taking a quick nap, I don't remember.
Would be easier if I had a bit of a lift on the truck!
Thrown in the corner waiting for Line-X
Completed project

Didn't turn out too bad I don't think especially for the minimal cost. The Line-X by far was the most expensive part, I about choked when the quote was $180. But not much for options around here, and I didn't want them painted or powder coated.

I've probably got around $20 in materials that I had to get that wasn't laying around the shop. Took me the better part of a weekend to complete them, but that was with a lot of distractions, and not working too hard on them. I'd guess somewhere in the neighborhood of 8-10 hours of labor building them, and an hour to put them on (man that sucked, a tid bit long and heavy for a one man install).

They are a lot sturdier than I expected, I can bounce on the steps and they barely move... and I've got a lil fluff to me lol.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Those look great! I'll take a pair. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Nice work man. Why link the pictures instead of just imbedding them?

Making me work. I'm lazy.

Funny, if you can't fit under the truck.. why do you need steps!?! LOL :)

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm spoiled by a huge monitor, so I try to be considerate of others with lesser monitors, and don't want to take up the screen with one picture. Besides, a lil click keeps the beer calories away! haha.

I personally had no problems with the stepless truck, but I seem to have a lot of midget friends. And it was fun watching them jump into the truck, but I know eventually they won't be able to make it and I'd have to help them in the truck. :hehe:

Thanks for the kudo's fellers!

·
Premium Member
0 Posts
Turned out great, nice work!

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
I'm spoiled by a huge monitor, so I try to be considerate of others with lesser monitors, and don't want to take up the screen with one picture. Besides, a lil click keeps the beer calories away! haha.

I personally had no problems with the stepless truck, but I seem to have a lot of midget friends. And it was fun watching them jump into the truck, but I know eventually they won't be able to make it and I'd have to help them in the truck. :hehe:

Thanks for the kudo's fellers!
:rof

Nice! Good work again!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts