Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My buddy is replacing is oil furnace & is upgrading to natural gas. He has offered me the oil if I can use it in my 03 Cummmins. Will it run with it? I don't know. Thanks

·
Registered
937 Posts
Most diesel fuel furnace tanks are filled with marked diesel.

Running marked diesel in your truck is a HUGE fine.

Not to mention those tanks aren't the cleanest so you'll end up with crap loads of sediment in your tank.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Most home heating oil is the same as diesel, although in theory they can be different. But yeah, it usually has dye in it since it doesn't have road tax on it, which can mean a big fine. If you did wan't to run it, I'd make sure you filter it first.

·
Registered
39 Posts
run it in your truck it wont hurt anything its dyed red to show that it does not have highway tax around here no one checks pick up trucks for red fuel mainly big trucks cause there easy to "dip" the tank it burns the same as on road fuel and its freeeeee i run off road red fuel 90% of the time in my truck and never a problem may have to do filter change more often but thats it

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Dying it wont do squat. They have a uv tester and it has a chemical they can check for. 1 teaspoon of off road will contaminate 1000 gallons.

Sent from my Motorola Electrify using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
405 Posts
Dying it wont do squat. They have a uv tester and it has a chemical they can check for. 1 teaspoon of off road will contaminate 1000 gallons.

That is false my good man.
The ONLY thing they go by in texas is fuel color. And 1 teaspoon will definatly not contaminate 1000 gallons. I dont care what you read, I have been using it for quite a while (tractor) and have never heard that in my entire life.

·
Registered
432 Posts
i dont know about elsewhere. but here in ks ONLY a state trooper can dip your tank. local sherriff cant dip you. i ran a ton of red through my 94 and my 97. got caught by local cops and they told me i needed to go straight home and recommended i go drain the tank and dont use that truck for awhile. he told me that only a trooper can dip tanks.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
I live in washington. I buy fuel in bulk weekly. I have to have my fuel tested to have a license to buy it. Here if they think you been running it they send a sample to a lab of your fuel. The company that tests it even said it can be contaminated.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Now if they have to test my on road just for color that would be retarded. And btw every state works different. Plus if you get caught youll have the irs on you too and will be on a nice list saying youve been caught. Sometimes they even make you keep track of your usage and mileage if your caught. I know a few who got caught in there dump truck and there fine was over $10,000

·
Registered
57 Posts
i have a friend that has 300,000 miles on dyed fuel, never had a issue..i work in a refinery, we make it..its the same fuel, only the dye in extra..and the 30c a litre in price per litre..lol..just make sure its home heating oil..not stove oil.. stove oil has more kerosone, it will **** your truck fast..its too hot..

·
Registered
50 Posts
To answer the OP's question, yes you can run the fuel in your truck with no problem. It's the same fuel without the road tax...that's it.

Up north you buy either stove oil or furnace oil for heating....only difference is the pour point. It's like winter and summer diesel, more/less paraffin (wax). My understading anyway.

Hope that answers your question.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts