Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of you who make your own bio diesel with the used oils from stores/restaurants what ways are you getting your oil home? do you trailer it have a lift on your truck? been thinkin about it, but not sure how im gonna do it.

·
Premium Member
208 Posts
I have a 12V pump and about 100 gallon worht of cubies. I just fire them in to the truck as I stop at sources.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
with the trailer and dolly do you buy the barrels for the places or how do you work that out?

Reason why i am asking...

I was looking into getting a small trailer also with a tank/barrel mounted to it and just pumping it into my system when i get home and maybe buying barrels for places that didn't already have them.

·
Registered
2,663 Posts
Well I met a very nice buisness owner who happens to get 55 gallon metal drums by the truck load, once they are empty he doesnt need them so he lets me have as many as I want. So I took a big trailer and grabbed a bunch, then I went to talk with the resturant owners and asked them to fill them up and once a week I will come by pick them up and swap them with new ones, and they do.

he also gave me a 200 gallon HDPE plastic container which is now for my extras.....

·
Registered
4,834 Posts
what i did to save money vs buying a trailer was to get some barrels to put at the sources with a metal filter lid that locks to the barrel. i will go buy with a 12V DC pump and transfer the oil from the barrel at the resturant into a barrel in the back of my truck. then into my barrel at the house. this way i dont have move barrels, buy a trailer, or take away the cool factor of my truck with a tommy lift.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
where do yall find the drums at? and should i definitely get the metal vs the plastic ones?

·
Registered
4,834 Posts
if u cant find free ones they are baout $20 here in TX

·
Registered
361 Posts
dont mean to hijack the thread but how long could i store my bio before it goes bad?

·
Registered
361 Posts
haha ya no kiddin! I was just curious. thanks PhatB

·
Registered
38 Posts
I built a small trailer,mounted a 275 gal. caged cem. tank.Then used a very old well pump (the kind with a belt and pulley) added a 5 hp briggs engine. 12ft pickup hose.The outlet on my pump feeds into the dump valve on the tank,so no holes in the tank.Also I don't have to prime the pump because the oil in the tank backfills the pump when the engine is not running.

·
Registered
2,663 Posts
I built a small trailer,mounted a 275 gal. caged cem. tank.Then used a very old well pump (the kind with a belt and pulley) added a 5 hp briggs engine. 12ft pickup hose.The outlet on my pump feeds into the dump valve on the tank,so no holes in the tank.Also I don't have to prime the pump because the oil in the tank backfills the pump when the engine is not running.
thats an awesome idea, can you post a pic?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts