Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok
this question is for my (currently looking for a 01 or 02 6 speed qc) and my friend that owns one as well.

I have read the HO pump is limited to basically 500hp

So he has the stock turbo 5 inch exhaust BHAF edge /attitude AD150.

Would some 150 injectors be of good use to him?

He carries 2k in the bed and on occasionally hauls 5-7k but otherwise DD this truck.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
150's would work good, but plan on a turbo upgrade or you'll be constantly watching the pyro. imho.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ya that was my concern. Hopefully a turbo upgrade was not wanted (just leads to spending even more) he probably will but when I get my truck I dont want to upgrade the turbo.

what would one recommend for a DD reliable truck used for work 2k in the bed and occasional towing (camping)
Edge/att
5 inch exhaust
BHAF
Fass or ad
anything else? perhaps 100hp injectors/nozzles

and what power levels can I see out of this.

what will the 6 speed stock clutch generally hold to?

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
valair makes a good single that will hold more than 100 hp sticks will ever put down. i recommend a turbo upgrade since they will lower your drive pressure and help the motor breath. I drove my comp on 1x1, smarty , mach 4's (150's) and ps 62/14 for a couple years and pulled in excess of 40k a few times with no egt problems what so ever.
I'd recommend some Coaltrain 100's or see if they make a 125
S&B filter with an Icebox
Airdog or you can go Holley black and fittings for cheaper
4" exhaust would be fine for that hp but I would find an hx-40 style adapter to bolt to the back of the turbo and use an hx-40 style downpipe
this will save you down the line in case you ever do an aftermarket turbo.
Majestic Turbo in Waco , TX sells the adapter plates. The stock elbos is very restrictive ..imho.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well as far as piping goes for the turbo I am a welder fabricator so that wont be a problem. Lower drive pressure is something that I didnt think about before

what is ps 62-14? sorry not up on that

·
Premium Member
4,688 Posts
phat shaft 62/ 14 turbo

·
Registered
560 Posts
with my setup and DDP 200's and HO pump i made 493...without water meth. with my backdowns on my edge i saw maximum 1600* at top of 6th gear.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
i did 494 or something like that with my mach 4's and ho pump and ps 62/14.
they're good clean pumps but if you're looking for over 500 go to an SO.
Smokin: that 654 you laid, was that a dynojet ? fuel only?
that's some good #'s and what I'm shooting for but told by one of the diesel shops down south it was impossible. LOL

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am not really looking for over 500. actually 400 would be nice. I mainly want a reliable Daily driver and didnt want to change turbos. Perhaps I will start planning on that though. Pick up a used turbo and pipe everything myslef to save some coin.

Also people with injectors when you are driving normal are you noticing an increase in mpg?

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
if you can fab some clean tubing you might wanna think bout pickin up a giant turbo off here or a bone yard and stickin it under your stocker.

NO INCREASE IN MILEAGE AFTER INJECTORS! ! ! you just wont see it. the power is there and if you use it, your mileage will go down. if you haze (very easy to) your mileage will go down. dont let anyone tell you your mileage will increase. sure. . .some guys in some test truck somewhere saw a mpg or two increase. . . . but wtf is the point in getting injectors if you're not gonna use the added fuel? ? ?. . .

i got 110's- - -got 20-22 ALWAYS with the conservative driving style of a slow truck(stock injectors). . .but now i see 16-18.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
if I haze? what is that sorry? also when you say a giant turbo from a bone yard, your mean off of a big rig.

I can do really clean piping I am a pipe welder and have done mainly stainless (including 6 months sanitary stainless for molson brewery)

If I went that route would my stock vp44 handle the extra demand?

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
you dont have to roll coal to be smoking. . .the haze is what you can barely see but is there. its just a light smoke under light throttle/no boost. can see real good at night time. its real easy to haze with any sticks 100 or above. yea get a turbo from a bigger truck. they float around on the forum pretty abundantly too. like someone said they made 500 some horse on HO pump so your stock vp will definately handle some 100-150 sticks, a timing/fueling box, and twins.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Just some advice. If its not too much more trouble to fab an extra or two, you could probably make a few bucks in the classifieds.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
I would go 150's and get a boost fooler, and turn up the wastegate to 35psi. This setup will keep your egts under control and be reasonable for towing. I'd BUY exhaust. Mandrel bent tubing is absolutely worth the cost and WILL PAY FOR ITSELF QUICKLY in fuel efficiency. The stock hx set at 35 psi should move enough air for 350 hp, and probably be fine for the appx 400bhp you'd be pushing with 150 hp sticks. This is sticks alone, though. Add a chip, and you might get into trouble with egt's in a hurry.

This is what I wish I had done. I got the 100's because I was afraid the stock clutch might not handle more power. I CAN'T slip it. But you should know that there were two six speeds, one with a smaller input shaft and clutch. 1 1/4" vs 1 3/8" input shaft.

I picked up about 1.5 mpg from my sticks and 1.5 from my exhaust. My fuel efficiency went from 14 average 16 tops to 17-18 average and 20.5 (!!!) tops. I cannot make it average less than 16 any more unladen no matter how stupid I drive. And when I did these mods, I also went from 33" to 35" tires, so this is WITH the bigger tire penalty. My driving is almost all twisty mountain highways at 45-60mph. All these numbers were hand calculated compensating for tire size, and by the fillup.

PS These fuel efficiency numbers were what I was looking for with my mods-power is nice, but wasn't the point. I read many a post, and shopped a fair amount before going this route. I can't promise you that similar mods will give similar results, but I followed others claiming similar results, and my experience has been the same.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
yeah well I will be getting a chip for sure (all the gauges are nice and the extra power:party018: )
But I would ultimately like to improve on mileage and be around 400hp, but it has to be reliable.

How do you tell the difference in the clutches when I go to buy a truck.?
I am going to look at a 01 ho dark blue qc today with 140K kms on it. 2in leveling kit stock otherwise

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
for best mileage a set of 40 horse ddp sticks, or something of the like, along with a timing box will get you there. the smaller sticks burn real clean.

a tst comp box or another fuel-only box will give you the power when ya want it, and give you the ability to turn it off and get the mileage when you dont. if i had the money back when i did my injectors i woulda got smaller ones and a tst competition box. like i said earlier its just too easy to smoke with "bigger" sticks. you're not gonna see mileage increase with 150's. just my .02.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
ok so the guy sold the one that I had my eye on. so I am on the hunt again.
I am pretty set on att/juice (for the ability to have the power when needed plus the gauges)
I was thinking about some small sticks but not sure if its worth it. how much more of a mpg gain would I see over say 90-125 hp sticks.
Just feel that if I go through the trouble to install 40hp sticks (do you even feel the diff in power) just for a minimal gain in mpg it would be better to step up a lil.

·
Registered
111 Posts
If you want to be at 400 hp, I think a Juice/Attitude or Pulse/Adrenaline with some 100 horse injectors will get you there.

There were some '99 and '00 trucks that were SO six speeds, these are the ones with the smaller input shaft and clutch.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
so how do I tell if it has the smaller input shaft and clucth? OR how can I tell if it is a ho or so pump? Also the smaller input shaft is that something to worry about reliability wise? I would rather be limited at the ho 500hp limit and have peice of mind with the clutch than vice versa.

·
Registered
111 Posts
The HO's (with 13" clutch) will have a 3/4" aluminum spacer between the starter and block. The SO's (12.25" clutch) will have the starter bolted directly to the block.

Some other ways to tell: The 8th digit of the VIN is 6 on SO's, 7 on HO's; or you can look at the tag on the engine timing case, SO = 235hp, HO = 245hp.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts