Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

41 - 60 of 138 Posts

·
Registered
15,775 Posts
Well, there are two ways you can go about this.

One is to add more power by badges, stickers, and other ornamental add-ons.
The other is to reduce weight by removing as many as possible, thereby improving the power to weight ratio.

Of course, the latter method does nothing for making the neighbors aware of what you drive.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
My 2012 Big Horn had an HO badge of some sort on the tailgate but I sold the box and the whole shebang, so I can’t verify what it looked like. I think it might have actually said high output.
I think my 12 HO is 17.5 compression… I wouldn’t exactly call that low. I really don’t care because boost and fuel take care of it.
I don’t put ANYTHING on my truck that isn’t functional and all the decals that came with my power goodies are stuck on the cabinets in my garage.
I see no need to advertise any of that stuff. In fact, it could be an embarrassment if a Nippon gasser blew my doors off! Craig

Reactions: tryNto and Jimmy N.

·
Registered
975 Posts
I'm seriously considering de-badging my truck and putting these on as an anti-theft measure.

I'd have to get rid of the RAM 3500 badge to do it though. Then my payload would go down significantly. Oh wait, that's another thread...........................

·
Registered
240 Posts
I'm seriously considering de-badging my truck and putting these on as an anti-theft measure.
No one would fall for it, cuz no one is stupid enough to put a 6.no in anything other than the scrapyard, next to the Tritons and the EcoBusts that saw a slight amount of work.

I'd have to get rid of the RAM 3500 badge to do it though. Then my payload would go down significantly. Oh wait, that's another thread...........................
Replace the 'RAM' with a GMC or Chevrolet logo. Then people will think that it'll break down before you finish reading this.

·
Rear Admiral Rickard Onmi
7,605 Posts
No one would fall for it, cuz no one is stupid enough to put a 6.no in anything other than the scrapyard, next to the Tritons and the EcoBusts that saw a slight amount of work.
Yet nearly 2,000,000 were sold....

·
Registered
240 Posts
Yet nearly 2,000,000 were sold....
2 mil what? Tritons? 6.0s? EcoBusts?

Not that it really matters, most Ford trucks are destined to life as either a big car or a dainty pavement princess. Don't have to worry about overworking an engine if you're using a truck for what any car can do.

·
Registered
975 Posts
Not that it really matters, most Ford trucks are destined to life as either a big car or a dainty pavement princess. Don't have to worry about overworking an engine if you're using a truck for what any car can do.
Like my Ranger. Damn thing never worked a day in it's life.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Does anyone else remember when most of the guys on the Cummins/dodge sites did nothing but ridicule the 7.3 until they were no longer made. Then, all of a sudden, it was one of the greatest engines Ford ever used. Craig

·
Registered
240 Posts
Does anyone else remember when most of the guys on the Cummins/dodge sites did nothing but ridicule the 7.3 until they were no longer made. Then, all of a sudden, it was one of the greatest engines Ford ever made. Craig
Before my time.

But the whole thing can be summed up as this:
The 7.3's torque lagged behind the 5.9, and hrsprs was a bit better stock. They both had power left on the table from factory, but the Cummins engines could handle more power due to them being scaled down semi engines that were built to also handle more stressful workloads than pickups typically see. Mileage on the 7.3 was also piss poor relative to the 5.9. Basically, in most areas, the 5.9 was the better option on paper.

But the 7.3 did something that the following 6.0 and 6.4, as well as many V8s of the time couldn't: they lasted a long time with regular maintenance. It's not a special occasion to see a 7.3 on the roads, much like is isn't a special occasion to see a second gen Dodge CTD on the roads. They've earned their reputation, like the 12v did, they just didn't have the head start that Dodge and Cummins did.

That, and the 7.3 is a fun engine and the OBS Fords were great trucks. Ford deserves some recognition for getting those trucks right.

·
P2609 Fanatic
2,238 Posts
Does anyone else wish they didn’t put the badge insert in the hood of the 19 and 20’s? It’s an eye sore to me.
Lotta' things are a 'new' problem on the Gen-5, IMHO.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
223 Posts
Like the whole damn hood. Those things flutter ridiculously bad on the freeway.
Interesting. Are you commenting from experience or hearsay?
Last month I made a 2000 mile trip, all on freeways running from 65-100 mph and had zero hood flutter.

Reactions: GEM1N1998

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Direct experience.

Maybe you have water in your hood to stop the flutter? I know my 2019 pooled water inside from those badges.

·
Registered
128 Posts
With the Radio Flyer load distributor on there you could probably tow more than an Eco Diesel with that ranger

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Reactions: Jimmy N.
41 - 60 of 138 Posts