Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I did a search and couldnt find a thread so heres mine.

Installed the airdog 100 last sunday with a new VP44 and injectors. The problem is under acceleration the airdog pump gets REALLY loud. It only happens at that time. While in cruise, slowing down and under very slow acceleration its quiet. I have 250miles on it since the install and the problem just started 50miles ago.

When i first noticed it was alittle loud earlier today i got home and drained alittle fuel out of the w/s. No water and a stream of fuel came out. I did look at the fuel tank and noticed it had alittle fuel around the tank..no big deal. I took the truck over to cabela's about 30miles from my house and it sounded OK, nothing worse then normal...but still made alittle more noice then the turbo and was thinking wow, this can get annoying. When i got out of cabela's and headed home it was twice as loud then what it was when i headed out there. Now when i step on it hard getting on the highway its crazy loud. cruise, slowing down, and slow starts i dont hear anything. I stopped at a parking lot with the engine running and wanted to see if i could get the w/s to drain anything. I figured it would stream fuel out since the engine was running...NOTHING came out.

Is that normal when the engine is running?

Just curious if i have an air leak or is the pump going bad already? I dont want to ruin a new VP44..Thanks for the help guys.

·
Registered
604 Posts
If the pump gets loud, almost guaranteed because it is sucking air somewhere. Double check everything to make sure the pickup line does not have any leaks. Also it is normal that the water drain will not work when the pump is running.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
sweet...ill have to double check the hoses and make sure they are on tight....they are a B!TCH to get on tight...even when you oil up the lines and the fittings.

BTW: where you at in Iowa? Im in NE iowa 3 days a week.

·
Registered
604 Posts
sweet...ill have to double check the hoses and make sure they are on tight....they are a B!TCH to get on tight...even when you oil up the lines and the fittings.

BTW: where you at in Iowa? Im in NE iowa 3 days a week.
Des Moines

·
Registered
631 Posts
are you sure its the airdog? did you put the bolts back in that held your fuel filter to the manifold? I know from experience it sound like a wyning niose, if you didnt you blew out the intake manifold plate gasket.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
:ditto::ditto::ditto: i did the same thing:doh: also did u use pipe sealant that is fuel friendly?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I open the window and can hear that little pump screaming..I did put the bolts back in. Even if the windows are closed its loud and is comin from under the truck right where the airdog is. So i assume its probable the intake hose thats sucking in air. Thats where i was gonna start first. That hose can be a pain to put on the fittings.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
update...i had a slightly kinked line up by the fuel pick up connection. I made sure all the fittings where tight and its still doing the same thing. Anyone have any other ideas? How about airdog's phone number? Ill give them a call and see what they think as well.

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
You can find the number for airdog under the pureflow technologies webpage, they're the manufacturer. I don't know about the Airdog 90, I've got a 150, but how does your in tank pickup work? Is it a draw straw, or does it reuse the stock pickup? I do know that if the airdog is making a lot of noise, it's because it's sucking air. That's what mine sounded like when I first primed it, but once it was primed, the noise went away. Do you have an FP gauge? If not, I'd be really careful about driving around, since you may be starving the VP of fuel. Do that too long, and you'll be replacing the VP soon, with a minimum of 1100 bucks.
BTW, if you pulled the output line with the engine running, and didn't get a stream of fuel, then you do have a big problem. You should see a steady stream of fuel if the engine's running. Start from the lines coming out of the tank that attach to the airdog, and troubleshoot from there back. You may have a restriction in the line or an air leak between the tank and the pump.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I found the number thanks....On the airdog 100 you leave the stock pickup likes there and just connect to it with the 1/2 hose that airdog sends...no problems there i dont think. I dont have a kink in any of the lines (i did but that is solved and the problem is still there). I dont have a FP guage, i have a new VP44 that i put in same time as the airdog...Better deal then $940 thanks to a site sponsor. I didnt pull the output line from the filter...if i did the engine wouldnt run anymore. By the water seperator there is a drain so you can sump the water out if there is any. I just opened that up while the engine is running and didnt have anything leak out. However when its not running there is a small stream that will drain when i open the w/s.

Even though it sounds like the pump is sucking air....it might be the intake manifold that air is pushing out from..i dont have a boost guage yet (will have all of the guages soon) so i cant tell if its the manifold thats allowing air out. Makes sense since i can only hear that terrible sound when im in the throttle kinda hard. Hmm...

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
:doh:My bad, I'm an idiot...I meant when you turn the key to the run position, to prime the pump...

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
oh it primed really nice when i first installed it...hooked up the new vp44, new injectors and all i did was leave the injector lines alittle loose...bumped the started a few times, herd the airdog kick on for 30sec or so and herd it fill the system with fuel..after 4 or 5 times i tryed to start it..didnt take much work and it lited right off...was missing alittle bit but reved it up alittle, tightned down the fuel lines and she was off...never had a problem till last night. I think its the manifold gasket..ill hopefully be able to fix it sunday...any other suggestions? Ill keep you posted what i find just in case this problem happens to someone else...thanks

·
Registered
604 Posts
On the airdog 100 you leave the stock pickup likes there and just connect to it with the 1/2 hose that airdog sends...no problems there i dont think. I dont have a kink in any of the lines (i did but that is solved and the problem is still there).
I am wondering if you don't have a cracked flexible line in the pickup assembly. It has been known to happen, and would explain a lot. It's a shame you don't have a fuel pressure gauge as it would help us out some. I still believe you are sucking air somewhere...

·
Premium Member
266 Posts
I have the same noise. But I took my fuel filter all the way out and left the bolts out. Do they need to be in?

·
Registered
5,650 Posts
I have the same noise. But I took my fuel filter all the way out and left the bolts out. Do they need to be in?
you have to replace the bolts or the intake gasket will blow out, likely its already happened, you might thave to get shorter bolts or extra washers as the stock bolts might bottom out before it tightens up on the manifold

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
yeah im sure there a little loose or somethin...no biggy...

·
Registered
631 Posts
most DEFF. need to put those back in. im shocked you havnt blown your gasket yet cause if ya did you would know it cause it makes a really hi pictched whinning noise.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
no surprize, you guys where right...it was the lower intake manifold gasket..when i changed it yesterday i noticed there where two bolts very loose that i couldnt get to with the throttle cables, and other stuff in the way...quick fix and thanks for the help guys.

·
Premium Member
266 Posts
Wow, I installed the top of my fuel filter (instead of using washers), and installed the bolts, no more noise. Thanks for the help.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts