Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'll start by saying not having a spare can be a huge pain in the butt!! This past weekend I was on a job 60 miles from home. 3 of my buddies are with me. I have a qclb with a ARE shell and a bedslid. That was full to the top with toos, ladders mounted on the shell rack. Running 37's and the spare doesn't fit under the bed. It was only a day job, my nittos are only have wore and in great shape. Needless to say getting off 95 onto 26 heading back to Charelston I blew the drivers side rear. Not the sidewall, but a fist sized hole through all 10 plys. Now I'm stuck. Waiting for another buddy to go to my house pick up my spare and truck it out to me. Two hours on the side of the highway then changing a 37 in the dark. My question is has anyone tried or have pictures of a swing away spare carrier, or has success with the tire gate hitch gate system?

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Maybe the one below so you can keep your tailgate. Not mine just a suggestion.

·
Premium Member
1,055 Posts
This won't help you today, sorry but what if you put a stock sized tire/rim back under the bed and next time (hopefully never) you get a flat on a back tire, you change out the front 37" to the back and put the stocker on the front just to get you home.
Additionally, get a 'AAA' premium membership (CAA in Canada) and call for a tow (tilt&load) Been there, done that. GL.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nah I have a full sized spare. I used to strap it under the bed when I had stacks. But a full 5 In exhaust took care of that and any room for a spare. I looked at the tire gate one but couldn't find the pictures on a dodge. I like it sits closer to the tailgate than I thought. Plus easy to remove if I want to. That truck looks like mine but in black. Thanks

·
Registered
94 Posts
I have thought about doing this on my 04 2500 with an old spare tire carrier from my 95 Bronco. Not sure how it would look with a 35-12.50-17 on it.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Anybody ever add a swing out tire carrier to there bumper?

Reactions: dockbox

·
Registered
260 Posts
Gents, sorry for resurrecting an old thread but it's on point with my issue and I am not finding a resolution using the search function. I am looking specifically for a bumper mounted, swing away tire carrier. By bumper mounted I mean rotates on a heavy duty spindle located on one end of the bumper with a latch at the other end of the bumper. I am currently running 35s and may go up to 37s at some point in the future. My spare currently takes up space in the cargo bed and that's getting old. Aside from the fact that I can't stand the thought of laying on my back on the side of the interstate in foul weather in or der to winch down and drag out a spare, I have other plans for that space. Yes, I know that Wilco makes a swing away carrier that mounts in the trailer hitch. Yes, that would solve the problem,but just create another when I need to tow something. There are lots of examples of bumper mounted swing away spare tire carriers in the Toyota pickup world and for newer model Fords and Dodge. I'm even willing to live with one of those "multi-carriers" that fit my truck as a start because at least I could either get that modified to get rid of the Jerry can holder and use that space for something else. Here is a picture of a carrier with the spare in the center, though most have the spare offset weight over the spindle. Any help in sourcing this would be greatly appreciated. Otherwise I'll be trying to find a guy who can fab something. Thanks.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts