Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Brake pedal while driving has a hissing sound by the brake.. If you depress the brake it quits.. as soon as you let off the brake it starts again. the brakes work fine.

· Registered
1,279 Posts
I believe another user reported the same thing in a different post last year. This user experience a failed boost hose, that the inner Teflon liner had failed. The liner was moving into the valve body and causing this noise. He tried to trim back the Teflon but the noise continued.
He ended up replacing the Hydro Boost hose, this eliminate the hissing sound. Hope this helps you? I could not find his post, to show you what to look for.

· Premium Member
390 Posts
Is it a hissing sound or is it the brake wear indicator touching the rotor? When the brakes wear down to a certain point there is a piece of metal that will touch the rotor to make the noise to notify you that your pads needs to be changed. When you press on the brakes, the pads press on the rotor and prevent the wear indicator from touching it while they are applied, stopping the sound.

· Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Air Force Okie it is a hissing sound like a real small air leak right where the brake cylinder is inside the cab. But it increases in sound when I idle up. It will also go intermittently whenever I hit a bump it will stop for the duration of the bump, then continue a hissing noise. I don't even hardly near rarely use my brakes hard. But I do know that brake wear noise I use my exhaust brake 99% of the time while simotaniously down shifting, but very lightly use the brakes to stop. So I think it might be something else, thank you for the input

· Registered
1,279 Posts
Like I said in my earlier reply check out this post:
Sounds like vacuum leak under dash
You and others have had this same issue before.

· Registered
1,617 Posts
The Brake pedal while driving has a hissing sound by the brake.. If you depress the brake it quits.. as soon as you let off the brake it starts again. the brakes work fine.
Sound's like you have a rattle snake in there some were.:hehe: Just kidding, mine is my hydro booster that does it. Im not familar with the newer one's though.

· Registered
94 Posts
Jim W is correct, I've been dealing with this problem all weekend, replaced the master cylinder and booster for nothing after finding out that the teflon tubing works its way up through the hose. Wish they would make this a factory recall.
On that notes, anyone know where to pic up one of those hydaulic hoses for the top of the booster?

· Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
let me know if it works, I still have the noise and waiting to go to my mechanic in Ohio to fix her next month

· Registered
94 Posts
This is definitely the problem, the teflon works its way out of the black rubber hose in to the metal tubing that runs in to the top of the brake booster. I believe this line is the "return" line for the booster. I picked up the hose from a dealer this afternoon after being sold the wrong one by another dealership this morning. the part number is 52122338-AC I think. got the correct on installed about 30 minutes ago, no more hiss. Make sure the hose they sell you only has two bends in the metal tubing at the bottom end of the hose as the first one they sold me had something like four bends. its two bends forming a J. costs about 70 bucks.

· Registered
209 Posts
The info is out there somewhere for chrysler technicians, (on star online I believe).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.