Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

21 - 40 of 3389 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
At this point anything is possible. I was in the service bay at a different dealership for the road force balance where we found the bad tire. The rim was true on the machine as it spun. Curiously this was the tire that my selling dealership had rotated off the front after they rechecked the balance. I showed my dealership owner pictures I took where it was evident the front axle had contacted parts of the frame during the wobble. They wrote it off as shipping damage and road debris. I believe the drive shaft(s) are bent due to the wobble. I'm stuck in the Ram Star Case loop for now.

·
Registered
79 Posts
2013 Laramie 3500 mega SRW. Dealer replaced two firestones, still has vibration. I purchased 20x10 XD with nitto terra grapplers 35's..... Still shakes like a leaf. Not bad around town, but super annoying on the freeway, so she's on grocery duty until problem is fixed or traded.

·
Here to learn
1,440 Posts
Dads truck does it at 60ish mph.

2012, CC, 3500, 68RFE, stock rims & tires

·
Registered
3,743 Posts
More aisin's than anything
Not the transmission. If you look back at the 2010+ section the same vibration and seat shake is brought up many times. There was only one auto available. This was also pre 50K frame. :confused013: Some times tires/wheels fix this issue, and then others it doesn't....enigma it seems....same vibration/ frequency drone / seat shake has been reported with both the GM and Ford HD trucks latlely as well... all with no cut and dries answer as to what solves it, again some have had success with tires others have not ,but never 100% solved.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
mine is definately not enough to shake the seats or steering wheel, just a mild vibration.

Did some very spirited highway driving today and no vibration at all. evened out the tire pressure to 70 just to see what it did.

Coil springs on mine, btw.

·
Registered
42 Posts
06 5.9 48FRE QCDRW stock tires. Many times to the dealership. As always, nothing wrong. Finally replaced 1 piece drive shaft on my dime, still vibrated at all speeds. then totaled

09 6.7 68fre Mega-DRW 285/70R/17 Nitto MT's. Front wheel bearings and rotate more often solved my issue.

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
What I'm seeing is that this is a 3500 issue.

Are the rear leaf springs the same between a 3500 DRW and SRW? If they are, this issue may be narrowed down even further. Perhaps the springs are just too stiff to absorb the shake? Maybe the resonance frequency of the springs is being triggered?

·
Registered
50 Posts
2006 mega cab 2500. 2 piece steel shaft. 8 inches of lift with 37" tires. Shakes between 60 and 64. Sometimes on just the right grade of road up or down the shake disappears. 3 new u joints and a brand new carrier bearing. Still have the problem. Brand new tires. Still have the problem.

·
Registered
284 Posts
No shake in my 14 2500 mega, but I like how quickly you all figured out commonalities in the problem. We need to do this kinda thing more often.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
I had bad vibration in my 12.. but after the 2nd tire balancing, it drives smooth..

(this was after I put the M-55's on it)

·
Registered
204 Posts
Mine is bad. It is a new 3500 crew cab long box. 6.4 gasser with auto. It is not the tires. I now have my winter set on. The tires have been checked twice and the stock tires did it. I believe it is a combo of the long stiff frame and stiff springs on the rear is partially to blame. The frame resonates like crazy. It will do it at 43 mph and again at 70mph. But I can't figure out where it is coming from. It almost feels like it is bucking. I haven't checked to make sure the diff ratios are the same, like maybe they screwed up and put a 4.10 diff in with the 3.73 diff. I am pretty sure it isn't in the trans neither. I am going to take the truck into another shop to verify the tires are not to blame.

·
Registered
5,244 Posts
Please list the following:

Truck Model & Year
Configuration(CCSB CCLB CCLBDRW etc)
ENGINE
TRANSMISSION
TIRE SIZE/WHEEL SIZE

Let's get this figured out to a science.
I don't want to throw a monkey wrench in, but my truck has a small vibration at about 60MPH to 70 MPH

My specs, Daily driver no towing

'14 Bighorn 2500
CCLB
6.7 CTD
68RFE
Stock 20s, 285/60/20
2 piece drive shaft

I have had tires balanced one tire was 2 ounces out (from factory). Had alignment checked no problems. Lowered rear air pressure in tires from 80psi to 70psi helped a lot but still have a small vibration.

I have noticed the warmer it is out side the less the vibration is. I didn't notice any vibration when I got the truck in September about 70F days, started noticing in October 50F days. Hope this helps some.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Well, this is interesting, as I was worried it was my new lift and tires. I got the vibration starting at 60MPH+ and get worse and worse until around 75+ I felt like pulling over. This doesn't happen consistently, it didn't happen for the first 3,000 miles it was stock, and it hasn't happened lately for awhile, but I also haven't done much highway driving lately either.

2014 6.7 CTD Laramie Crew Cab Short Bed
6.5" lift, 37" tires, 22" wheels
One piece aluminum driveshaft
68RFE

·
Registered
158 Posts
I have a 2013 3500 DRW mega cab 4x4 6.7 Aisin.one piece shaft.
shake at 70 changed stock tires to michelins . got better but still there

21 - 40 of 3389 Posts