2,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please list the following:

Truck Model & Year
Configuration(CCSB CCLB CCLBDRW etc)
ENGINE
TRANSMISSION
TIRE SIZE/WHEEL SIZE

Let's get this figured out to a science.

Reactions: brt67

·
Registered
641 Posts
2014 Laramie 4x4 2500, ccsb, 68RFE, Cummins 6.7, Firestone AT's on stock 18" alloy wheels, Rubber Ram mud flaps, Ram Full length tublar side steps, low profile aluminum tool box behind cab, leveled 2", One piece aluminum drive shaft.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
2014 tradesman crew cab long bed 4x4.

stock 18 inch firestone HT tires
stock ram chrome clad steel wheels

I have a minor vibration around 70 mph that i think is tied to tire pressure. All my previous Dodge trucks, as well as my dads have done this, so thats a 91, 93, 01, 03 and now the 14. In the past i have found cranking the air pressure to the max helps alleviates the vibration, but most important is balancing the pressure. I have never had luck running different pressures front to back as the placard suggests, and the other trucks have started to vibrate with around a 5 psi variation on any one tire. Pump them up to whatever it says on the sidewall, (80 on virtually everything ive ever owned) and go.

That being said, the air pressure in this truck seems to need more attention than my other trucks. The loss rate just seems a lot steeper.

·
Registered
356 Posts
I'll jump in here Dieselblock.

The configuration that I traded was:

2013 Big Horn CTD 3500 crew cab short bed 4x4. 68RFE

stock 18 inch firestone HT tires; replaced with Goodyear 10-ply adventurer tires forced balanced 3 different times
stock ram 18" chrome clad wheels

Vibration above 68 mph. A constant shaking resonance. Could of sworn the rear suspension just wasn't tuned right. At highway speeds 75 mph and above was downright uncomfortable. With a load on it, no vibration. Techs found nothing wrong with it. Front alignment was spot on.

My sig 2014 truck with coils, no vibration...provides a damn good ride for a heavy duty truck.

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
Please list the following:

Truck Model & Year
Configuration(CCSB CCLB CCLBDRW etc)
ENGINE
TRANSMISSION
TIRE SIZE/WHEEL SIZE

Let's get this figured out to a science.
2013 3500
CC, LB, DRW
6.7 CTD
Aisin
Stock wheels, 245/70/17 Kelly Safari tires

Cyclical vibration above 70 mph that feels like it's all coming from the rear. No steering wheel vibration at all.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Mine did it for 20,000 miles and the dealer couldn't find anything wrong, took it in 3 times for the problem. Long story short get rid of the stock wheels and tires and the vibration will disappear,or at least it did on my 3500 dually.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

2013 mega cab big horn 3500 dually

·
Registered
318 Posts
Mine did it for 20,000 miles and the dealer couldn't find anything wrong, took it in 3 times for the problem. Long story short get rid of the stock wheels and tires and the vibration will disappear,or at least it did on my 3500 dually.

Not true , I have mine on 35" tires and my truck still vibrates at speeds of 65mph and up.
2014 ram mega cab short bed 4x4 , cummins, leveling kit, 35". 3300 miles

I believe that the frame is so rigid that at higher than towing speeds these trucks vibrate. Its usually the right side passenger seat rattles bad.

·
Registered
318 Posts
After I boxed welded the frame on my 91 yj jeep and made it super rigid the jeep did the same thing and had a vibration problem bad.
It might be the frame is super rigid and just cant or wont allow for anything above 65mph.:confused013:
I cant stand it , drives me and my passengers nuts. Gets to be something you have to get use to.:doh::banghead:

·
Registered
239 Posts
Yep info below.

·
Registered
1,457 Posts

Looks like you got lucky changing out wheels and tires and having no more vibration.

New tires didn't work for me.

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
With the exception of Locopilot, the one thing these trucks have in common is that they are 3500's.

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It's not a "rigid" frame issue if they all don't due it and they all have the 50KSI steel frame... my truck is smooth as silk but my 2013 3500 SRW has the bad seat shake at 70+

Reactions: Larrymac and dedar

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
More aisin's than anything

·
Registered
4,624 Posts
Except for 1 all have leaf springs.

·
Registered
1 Posts
2013 4x4 CC SRW 3500 Aisin w/ about 12,500 miles. Vibration in the 37 to 45 mph range smooths out a bit then vibration from at 65 mph and greater. 2" front lift with Fox shocks.

·
Registered
35 Posts
2014 tradesman crew cab shortbed 4x4.
G56 manual
Stock 18 inch firestone HT tires
Stock ram chrome clad steel wheels
No other mods.

Mine started after a 'death wobble' and after several trips to the dealership found a bad Firestone HT tire. The tire had EXCESSIVE lateral run out and was prepped by the dealership on the front at 80psi. After the wobble, I've had the steering stabilizer replaced, tires balanced and ultimately new Firestone HT tires supplied by Ram. Highway vibration continues. I have the one piece rear drive shaft and have previously posted a video where I believe there is a bent front drive shaft. 3rd CTD Ram Truck... Makes me wish I had kept my 2004.5....

1 - 20 of 3391 Posts