Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody have any ideas for getting rid of the drone beside putting the stock system back in lol.

I just got the 5" tbe put on last night and this thing is freakin awesome sounding!!!!!!!!!!!! The exhaust break and when you get on it is amazing. I love everything about it untill I get to 70 mph or just over 2000 RPM the drone is also insane. Anyone have any way to get rid of the drone? Has anyone gone from the straight pipe to putting a muffler on it. What all do you lose noise wise? I plan on some bigger tires soon so It should raise the RPM of the drone to when I am going 75 or so. Which makes it only interstate I have to deal with it. Did know if there was any secrets about this. Guessing there is not as its just exhaust. Thanks

P.S. I dont miss my '01 any more :hyper::hyper::hyper:

·
Mr. Vehicle Destroyer
11,917 Posts
GO FASTER!!! Ha ha no seriously, I have found in my truck (obviously not a 6.7) that if I go faster or just a bit slower, Like 78 or 68-69 MPH the noise is completely gone. Guys tout aero turbine mufflers or donaldson 52" muffler yadda yadda yadda they are all kinda spendy so it really depends on what you are looking for.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I drive 120 miles of interstate a day and figured that one out fast this morning LOL. Its either 80 or 68 LOL. Just kinda anoying to have to go through the drone spot. I guess I will give up .2 mpg just to get through it faster. :)

·
Banned
2,615 Posts
just to let you know you your foot will automaticly go to that spot of the throttle after a couple days, you wont even know your doing it...
I drive 120 miles of interstate a day and figured that one out fast this morning LOL. Its either 80 or 68 LOL. Just kinda anoying to have to go through the drone spot. I guess I will give up .2 mpg just to get through it faster. :)

·
Premium Member
5,820 Posts
The Hushpower Muffler has been eliminating the Drone, it has an effective design that does not minimize flow.

The tone outside the truck still is good, but the CAB noise is tamed

·
Registered
407 Posts
Try placing stainless band clamps on long sections of pipe. Drone is usually from pipe that is weak, the clamp will stiffen up a long section of pipe, curves already help keep the pipe rigid. I used them on my 02 to dial away the drone, very interesting how a clamp can change what rpm the drone is.

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
im running the aeror 5050xl and it kept the sound and killed the drone...it quieted it down on the inside but it still roars on the :butt: end

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
94Matt,
Are you talking just along the pipe not only at the joints? Interesting Idea.

·
Registered
312 Posts
I would go back over your system , .I know what your talking about i had a drone on my 5.9 .I would check all your clamps and be sure your pipe isn't touching anything

·
I DONT BELIEVE IT!
1,728 Posts
I have a drone at 2300 rpm and about 85 mph ..........:T:

·
Registered
319 Posts
deiselgoose, I feel ya with the drone. Glad you posted this I was looking for suggestions too. Not a big deal though I can live with it, just turn up the radio louder!

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
I DONT BELIEVE IT!
1,728 Posts
Hey now a drone is a drone , He was asking about drones not motors and trannys :T::butt::thumbsup

·
Premium Member
713 Posts
You also have a different motor and tranny :T:
Who's 5" TBE do you have?

If you have BADP they have a 5" muffler that take care of the drone. :thumbsup

·
Banned
2,615 Posts
:lol3::lol3::lol3: ya so what he's saying is he is surprised them newer lil commen rails drone? :rof:thud: my FBD 5" with muffler is nice so far... :thumbsup
Hey now a drone is a drone , He was asking about drones not motors and trannys :T::butt::thumbsup

·
Registered
100 Posts
My BADP 5" SS full system w/ SS muffler doesn't drone.:peelout

·
Premium Member
325 Posts
:lol3::lol3::lol3: ya so what he's saying is he is surprised them newer lil commen rails drone? :rof:thud: my FBD 5" with muffler is nice so far... :thumbsup
Doesn't look like anyone is going to bite on the lil comment so... I am getting my 1117cc pots all ready to cook up caveman pumps! Just as soon as I get this flippin 5/8th nut clamp off...:popcorn::popcorn:

Seriously anyone else have trouble with the clamps around the stock muffler? Why didn't they point the nut side down? So raccoons or dealer techs don't bump their heads on them?

·
Registered
407 Posts
94Matt,
Are you talking just along the pipe not only at the joints? Interesting Idea.
Yes. It worked wonders for me on a cheap 4" setup I had on my old 02.

Try putting one on, maybe two, then move them around until you get rid of the drone. I found that sliding a clamp down as little as 12" could throw the drone into a different rpm range, and when you get them just right the drone can disappear.

I can't take credit for the idea, it was suggested to me on the TDR when I had the problem.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
That is awesome. I will give it a shot. Thanks a BUNCH. Love this forum!

·
Registered
319 Posts
Dieselgoose let me know if that works for ya! I really dont want to put a muffler on but if that works that would be simple enough to try. I ALSO LOVE THIS FORUM!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts