Cummins Diesel Forum banner
21 - 40 of 42 Posts
Guys

My factory tires are at the end of their life at 35k.

What replacements have you found give you the most mileage?
assuming your front end is tight and it aligned correctly,
I've been using Cooper Discoverer's on my trucks for the last 8 years or so.
Both 4x4, qclb and I get between 100 and 110,00 out of a set. Even at that point they still aren't worn out. Would pass inspection but not so good in the snow.

Discussion starter · #24 ·
assuming your front end is tight and it aligned correctly,

I've been using Cooper Discoverer's on my trucks for the last 8 years or so.

Both 4x4, qclb and I get between 100 and 110,00 out of a set. Even at that point they still aren't worn out. Would pass inspection but not so good in the snow.

I’m calling bullSnitch on 110k.

I’m calling bullSnitch on 110k.
call it what you will. some of us know how to max the life out of equipment. how about 145k for front brakes and rears that go 220k? 2 trucks, same tires, same alignment specs and this is what I get so........
One of the trucks now has 325k miles, factory tires, 1st new set at 70k, 2nd at 182k, 3rd set at 285k, 3rd set on it now with 7/32nds remaining. 4 sets of tires including factory. you do the math.

Keeping up with tire rotations and monitoring psi's go a long way to tire life. Driving styles have a lot to do with it. Hard starts and abrupt stopping will wear tires and brakes out quicker. Anticipating a red light helps brake pads last longer, not waiting till the last moment to hit the brakes, and this list can go on.

In cold weather, tires should be checked more often for maintaining proper psi's. Many times, a tire may not look low, but often is. Buying quality tires is another key to long life.

Keeping up with tire rotations and monitoring psi's go a long way to tire life. Driving styles have a lot to do with it. Hard starts and abrupt stopping will wear tires and brakes out quicker. Anticipating a red light helps brake pads last longer, not waiting till the last moment to hit the brakes, and this list can go on.

In cold weather, tires should be checked more often for maintaining proper psi's. Many times, a tire may not look low, but often is. Buying quality tires is another key to long life.
exactly. :) these trucks are a serious "investment" I make mine last.

@Jimmy N. Post #90 of the thread I posted tells how long he got out of them. He was the reason I purchased those tires. For the amount of miles he got out of them, I figured they had to be a decent tire.

Merry Christmas Jimmy N.

Yeah, I've used a set years ago, and have discussed Brockman's set with him, and did read that thread some time ago.
Those are the tires I were about to suggest in an earlier post.

Merry Christmas, camperman!

Reactions: camperman
I stepped up the size on my duelly's a bit 245/70/19.5
I have been using samson steers 16 ply on the front
and samson all weather 16 ply on the rear.

I'm going to tell you ,you can not wear these tires out, 150k+ and there under $200 each.
I have had them on 2 of my 4500's and 1 of my 5500's.
Never ran flat or low and just keep going strong.
I use to be leary of running chinese tires, not these.
My opinion, way better than the Michelins I use to run.

I would be happy to get 50k out of any tires on my 2014 3500 DRW!

I got 120k (mostly interstate) miles from Michelin LTX on an ‘05 dually pulling a 40’ gooseneck when I used to hotshot. Not cheap but worth it. I’m running Nitto Terra Grappler G2 on my current dually local running 25 miles each way to work and still have good tread left at 37k. The key is rotating and balance. I’m thinking of ordering the wheel balancer discs through Mr. Truck.

I've also gotten good mileage from Michelin LTX tires, both on SRW and DRW trucks (all Fords though). However, aside from being a quiet and long lasting tire, I never felt like they went very well in snow or off-highway conditions.

The Nexen Roadian A/T tires that came on my 2018 RAM dually lasted horribly. I'm hoping the Firestone Transforce A/T tires on my 2019 RAM 3500 SRW will last better (they have very deep tread).

I agree with Grit Dog, tire life will vary greatly depending upon usage and so too will the declaration of when a tire is finally beyond useful life.

Reactions: 18 Rubicon
I’ve had decent results from Toyo Open Country CT’s. 65000ish km on two sets now. Fairly quiet on the highway, great in snow, ok on ice and ok fuel mileage. Aggressive looking tread pattern without some of the trade offs of full mud tires. Before that I had a set of Michelin LTX. 80000ish km on those, quiet and great fuel mileage, but not very good looking and I was always afraid to take them too far off the beaten path.

The best luck I've ever had is with the cheapest ones Ive ever got:

Falken Wildpeak All Terrain

The new design. They were the cheapest AND the longest lasting set of tires Ive had in 10 years of diesel trucks.

21 - 40 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.