Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Given the mods in my sig line, what would be your opinions on a max EGT going through the traps? I currently have my EGT alert on the default setting (1350). This is probably more for towing than drag racing I would imagine. If I were take the truck to the track, what should I set the alert at (1/4 mile drag strip)?

Thanks!

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Uh, hello? This thing on?

·
Registered
262 Posts
Dont know about the third gens but you can see higher than that for a few seconds and should be no problem. I know its not good but I go through the traps with my pyro pegged, stock turbo is killing me...

·
I DONT BELIEVE IT!
1,728 Posts
:w::T::butt:

·
Premium Member
25,764 Posts
Move it up to 1450 and see if and where on the strip it trips, if your close to the end, shut the trip off and run it.

Dodge | Commins | Forum

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks. I plan on running the truck as soon as I get my converter and valve body.

Typically, how much does an aftermarket turbo lower EGTs? Future mods include a turbo. Nothing radical as the truck is my daily driver and tow vehicle for the race car trailer. I'd like to get the truck in the 13s if that's possible without going to crazy or losing driveability.

·
Mr. Vehicle Destroyer
11,910 Posts
One of the diesel heads down my way here had his set at 1400 degrees. During long pulls and very long hard acceleration runs it would easily stay parked there. (obviously too much fuel for his turbo) Anyway he found out the hard way that wasn't the smartest thing to do when three of the valve seats dropped out of his head. That was quite an expensive indeavor. So for short durations those temps are fine, but if you hold it there you will want to be a little more cautious.

·
Registered
13,652 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Mark Ward
836 Posts
ive seen 1700 too. i try to keep it below 1500. and not that high for very long

1 - 11 of 11 Posts