Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a dodge 05 with a 5.9 Cummings with 35,000 miles. I have a Banks ottomind tuner, high ram intake, monster exhaust. Airaid intake.
I was pulling about 8 or 9,000 lbs last week. whenever I got in stop and go traffic my trans temp's shot up to 220. I had to baby it to keep it that low. I purchased a banks torque converter and a Mag-hytec deep trans pan that I am installing tomorrow. I am also planning on using Amsoil Will this solve my high temp problems????

·
Registered
778 Posts
I have a dodge 05 with a 5.9 Cummings with 35,000 miles. I have a Banks ottomind tuner, high ram intake, monster exhaust. Airaid intake.
I was pulling about 8 or 9,000 lbs last week. whenever I got in stop and go traffic my trans temp's shot up to 220. I had to baby it to keep it that low. I purchased a banks torque converter and a Mag-hytec deep trans pan that I am installing tomorrow. I am also planning on using Amsoil Will this solve my high temp problems????

I too have seen 220 before on my tranny pulling our fiver (9,000). I have found that using the tow haul in stop and go traffic helps tremendously. I also have Amsoil sitting in the garage, but haven't had the tranny serviced yet. I plan to switch it over in the next couple of weeks.

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
Anytime your towing in stop and go traffic and the TC is not locked up causing the fluid to heat up fast. It could be your TQ is slipping and that is one other reason why the fluid is getting hot so fast, so installing a new one should help it run cooler. I've also read the newer pans with fins will help cool the fluid faster then a stock pan and with the extra fluid it will take a bit longer to heat it all up. My self I like and use Amsoil ATF and think its a good idea that you are going to use it, its 100% full synthetic ATF and it can handle the heat longer then standard ATF before it breaks down.

jmho

1 - 4 of 4 Posts