Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found a '98 24V QC 4WD LB 5spd. It has a little over 460,000 miles on it. One owner truck and its very clean considering it age and miles. No blow by or leaks. The owner kept a log of all maintenance. Never pulled a goose neck, has a bed cover. He is asking $8k ish. I want a good cash truck. Is it ridiculous to even consider this buy?

·
Premium Member
12,068 Posts
What you find on unit like this is the body is worn out, all bushings are worn out, the wiring is so brittle you can't touch without breaking insulation or wiring, Leaks are present, components that have never been serviced are rusted together or out.
For 8000 you can find a unit with 1/3 the milage. He has got his investment out of the truck. If you are really sold on truck offer 5K or less.

Reactions: jdpeeps

·
Registered
3,200 Posts
How good are the records? This guy depended on that truck a lot 13 years to do 460,000 is 35,300 a year. Is it Stock? my 01 with 232,000 was bone stock down to the block mounted lift pump (10 to 8 psi still).
If he has cared for it and has fully maintained it, Engine, drive train, and running gear then get the price down some and you may have a good truck. Just look it over really close, that is a chunk of change that you may need to put more $$$$ into soon.
If you plan on juicing it up I think I would look for something with fewer miles.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I would look around. I bought my 98.5 last month for 13k and it only has 79k miles on it. You can do much better in my opinion.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts