Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1997 Ram 2500 Laramie SLT 98-02 Cab swap, ECLB
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Title says it all, my truck doesn't seem to have a high idle, and definitely doesn't go into 3 cyl high idle. Can any truck be reflashed by the dealer to do this?

Also, can I adjust how cold it has to be to go into 3cyl? I think it sounds cool and I hate hown long it takes to warm up in the mornin. So maybe have it kick into 3cyl anytime its colder than 25 or 30? Will this cause excess wear? Thanks

·
Premium Member
2,831 Posts
You have to have a dealer enable it or do it with a Smarty tuner.

You can't adjust the kick on points, but there is a way to fool it into thinking its a specific temp.

Here is a product that is getting ready to release that will let you force it into high idle, its been 'almost done' for a couple months so I expect it should be shipping relatively soon--
Cubby mount:
High Idle Switch-Cubby Mount 1998.5-2002. Advanced Timing, 3cyl and 6cyl high idle

Gauge pod mount:
High Idle Switch-Gaugee pod Mount 1998.5-2002. Advanced Timing, 3cyl and 6cyl high idle

And the associated thread on here from the guy building them:
http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/9...753-revised-revised-high-idle-mpg-thread.html

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Awesome! Website says they plan on shipping around the end of November so I'm guessing they should be em out soon..? So with these switches I can kick it in anytime? No matter the temperature?

·
Registered
377 Posts
Go with the switch! I can't wait to get one set up on my rig!

·
Premium Member
2,831 Posts
Awesome! Website says they plan on shipping around the end of November so I'm guessing they should be em out soon..? So with these switches I can kick it in anytime? No matter the temperature?
Essentially yes, my understanding is the 6cyl you can kick on anytime. The 3 cyl as long as your coolant temp is below 170* (I may have that number wrong) you can force it in also.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Perfect! Can't wait!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.