Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took the truck out today to play with it with the defueling turned off. I did a search on here when I got back on people's EGT. Mine jump up quick and get hot to the point that the truck is not all that much fun. I could never run the quarter mile, hell, the 330' without seeing 1400 plus degrees. Now, I know what I'm supposed to see so I only got up that high TWICE and didn't do it again. Why are they so high? I only have the thing set on PL 05, and it has the Banks High Ram Intake, Banks Exhaust, etc. The thing should be breathing o.k.. I see around 22-24 psi of boost at WOT, but I can't stay there long due to EGT's getting high to quick. What can I do, or what can I check? Who is a local guru for me in Northern Virginia that can help me out? On a side not, I did kill my buddy's 05 with the BullyDog off the line bad but he caught me and passed me easily due to the adrenaline defueling. Hell, I'm so new to the Cummins engine I don't know if the thing is even running like it's supposed to. I have a fuel pressure gauge on the way as I thought the Adrenaline came with one, but I was wrong. Hopefully it isn't low fuel pressure that could be causing the EGT's to be high. Maybe not enough fuel is causing a lean condition? I'm just grasping at straws, and any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Banned
1,375 Posts
i looks like you still have a stock lift pump? should get an airdog or somthen like that soon:thumbsup i dont have an adrenaline yet but i would say you should have more boost im hiting 35 psi with an edge comp

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wait...wait..wait...so you guys are telling me that the solution to high EGT's is more air? That just seems like it would make things hotter and hotter faster? I'm not disputing it because I'm new, but scientifically it doesn't make sense to me. To me, these things aren't like turbocharged gasoline engines that have fuel pressure regulators that increase fuel pressure as boost increases. How do these engines increase fuel with boost? Electronically I guess, since they have a MAP that the ECU reads right? I think I answered my own question.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I believe I do still have the stock lift pump. I can hear it buzz for a quick second when I turn the key before I start the engine. I'd like to get the AirDog, but I have other financial obligations right now.

·
Banned
4,630 Posts
More air = lean burn = less heat....looks like you have a "boost" problem.

Fuel on a diesel, is controlled primarily by duration...

·
Registered
213 Posts
More air = lean burn = less heat....looks like you have a "boost" problem.

Fuel on a diesel, is controlled primarily by duration...

In a diesel application right? If I lean my racecar out that get's hot and fast!

·
Banned
4,630 Posts
Fueling on a diesel is unlike a gasser... Gassers fuel according to air whereas diesels fuel to get air (make boost). The way you get high EGTs on a diesel is by throwing too much fuel at it, with not enough air....unfortunately, that is the "cheap" way to horsepower...so people tend to overfuel.

Do you have an aftermarket intake? That may be part of your problem as well...

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah, I have the Banks High Ram intake on the truck. It came with it on there. Thanks for the lesson on diesel fueling/boosting. I'll get a turnbuckle tomorrow and try that out. So all I have to do is lock down the wastegate puck and I can get 32-35 psi and this should take care of EGT's?

·
Banned
4,630 Posts
Yeah, I have the Banks High Ram intake on the truck.
You mean intake horn (piece connecting intercooler pipe to intake manifold)? You will still need an actual intake.

Yes, if you want to mess with it, you can pinch off the wastegate line but it'd be better to get an adjustable wastegate so you can attempt to keep the turbo in efficiency...

·
Registered
32 Posts
You do know how a diesel doesn't care what the air/fuel mixture is. A diesel has more air in the cylinder than fuel to burn as a normal condition, not like your used to with a gas engine that has to have a rich mix so it won't be "lean" and melt a piston or burn a valve. A turbo diesel always has more air than it needs and that it is the most efficient. Also, i think extra air/more boost will control the overheating.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Before I got my new turbo on the high power levels I could get to 1400* gettin on it hard for long enough and that was with a fass 150, 5 inch straight pipe and a BHAF. Get a boost elbow or plug the wastegate but try not to bark that turbo I think that had something to do with my turbo shaft breaking but on the bright side I got a new turbo haha

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
:lol3:...I guess I don't have an intake then.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Before I got my new turbo on the high power levels I could get to 1400* gettin on it hard for long enough and that was with a fass 150, 5 inch straight pipe and a BHAF. Get a boost elbow or plug the wastegate but try not to bark that turbo I think that had something to do with my turbo shaft breaking but on the bright side I got a new turbo haha
O.k., but that bark sounds sooo dam good!

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You do know how a diesel doesn't care what the air/fuel mixture is. A diesel has more air in the cylinder than fuel to burn as a normal condition, not like your used to with a gas engine that has to have a rich mix so it won't be "lean" and melt a piston or burn a valve. A turbo diesel always has more air than it needs and that it is the most efficient. Also, i think extra air/more boost will control the overheating.
Ooooooooh! That makes sense....thanks.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Does my Adrenaline have a boost fooler? I'm going to do the J Hook and I don't want to be throwing codes.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yeah, I called them this morning and they said that they did with the Adrenaline.

·
Premium Member
3,941 Posts
On the stock turbo, you don't want to go over 35PSI. Beyond that your off the compressor map and just making hot air. You've also probably got stock head studs and gasket, which you would want to take care of before going further.

Then, the tranny work.. An endless pursuit.

·
Registered
40 Posts
The turbo on a auto truck has a steel wastegate line so you cannot crimp it or use a adjustable elbow.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts