Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ran the 12v hard this weekend and now doing 30mph around town i sit at about 700 on my pyro and thats driving conciously... i also noticed when i leave the truck to idle the exhaust smells like high octane race gas, like being at the race track... anyone have any suggestions?:CRY:

·
Premium Member
3,941 Posts
Any whitish smoke? Blueish smoke?

If a diesel is decompressed or has retarded timing, the exhaust will smell very strongly of raw fuel. Smoke is typically whitish/gray. It will burn your eyes if you stand in it.

If you have an oil issue, you should see blue smoke. It will smell just like a gas engine that is burning motor oil.

Might check some of the obvious:

- oil in coolant
- coolant in oil
- fuel in oil
- pull the dipstick and check your blowby
- any leaks of any kind
- injection timing
- fuel pump adjustments

·
Registered
787 Posts
It smells like sulfur?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
it smells like 110 octane gasoline being burned.... checked the oil and coolant and both looked fine. looked around head and block to see if anything was leaking but nothing... switched my pyro probe and gauge and same reading. no blow by at dipstick or filler. looked at everything i've tinkered with in the pump and all seems normal. smoke was the normal color and performance like it always has been.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Put a sheet of butcher paper on the underside of your truck at nite, there might be a leak somewhere that you arent seeing. Are you running any new fuel additive?

·
Registered
787 Posts
Thats what high octane gas smells like though, right?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts