Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to buy HID's for my headlights, I installed sylvania silvlerstars in my fog lights and it gave them an HID look with a blue tint to them. But in the head lights they made little to no difference. I was wondering what power HID to go with? I was looking at the 6000k and the 8000k. I really like the blue look but want them as bright as possible useing factory head lights

·
Registered
132 Posts
i went with 10000k first, and did not really like the look. I now have 8000k and i love them. They are much brighter, but still have the blue HID look to them.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Go with 4300k or 5000k and they will be brighter more white color. You wont get the stupid blue color but you will get more light output. The higher the temp the more blue you get then you start to get purple and then Green. Go lower and you get Yellow. I've got a set of Real Philips 3000K yellow HIDS but I need to hack my fogs and install some projectors in them.

Same with my mail headlights I wouldn't get a Kit I'd spend the Extra $$$ and Get a set of Acura TL HID projectors Hella Ballasts or Phillips Ballast and run Hella or Philips 4300k D2S bulbs.

But allot more work involved and money then just a plug and play kit.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i went with 10000k first, and did not really like the look. I now have 8000k and i love them. They are much brighter, but still have the blue HID look to them.
Any chance you would happen to have a pic of the 8000k's?

·
Registered
1,929 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Any chance you would happen to have a pic of the 8000k's?
not at the moment i could try and get one later tonight...its really hard to see the way they look in pictures, but if you want to see i can take one. From inside or outside the truck?

·
Si vis pacem, para bellum
2,459 Posts
This is my '08 with 6000K HID's next to my father's '05 with factory halogens:

I'd stay around the 5000K-6000K range. You will still get that "HID blueness" but they are quite a bit brighter than 8000K+. As previously mentioned, the higher the temp, the dimmer the lights. I also have an '01 Ram 3500 that has nothing but Sylvania Silverstars and after driving my '08 for the past few months with the HIDs, i feel like the whole world is a dirty yellow color and dark and without contrast when driving my '01. They really make a HUGE difference in nighttime visability.

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
Go with 4300k or 5000k and they will be brighter more white color. You wont get the stupid blue color but you will get more light output. The higher the temp the more blue you get then you start to get purple and then Green. Go lower and you get Yellow. I've got a set of Real Philips 3000K yellow HIDS but I need to hack my fogs and install some projectors in them.

Same with my mail headlights I wouldn't get a Kit I'd spend the Extra $$$ and Get a set of Acura TL HID projectors Hella Ballasts or Phillips Ballast and run Hella or Philips 4300k D2S bulbs.

But allot more work involved and money then just a plug and play kit.
:ditto: If you want brighter go with a lower K number

·
Registered
804 Posts
If you want brighter go with a lower K number
Below 4300k they are more yellow.

·
Registered
7 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Are these a true HID kit like with a ballast and all that or are these just a replacement xenon bulb.
yes the are true hid with ballast & everything you need nice guy to deal with too.here a pic of the kit he sells.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thanks for the info. I just have one more question. I am from Canada so I am wondering how these work with daytime running lights. I bought a cheaper HID kit off of ebay and they wouldnt work on my grand cherokee with the day time running lights. Would I have any of those issues in my Dodge?

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Are these a true HID kit like with a ballast and all that or are these just a replacement xenon bulb.
Thanks for the info. I just have one more question. I am from Canada so I am wondering how these work with daytime running lights. I bought a cheaper HID kit off of ebay and they wouldnt work on my grand cherokee with the day time running lights. Would I have any of those issues in my Dodge?
There are DRL modules that HID Solutions offers to work with the DRL's

·
Registered
309 Posts
I have a brite box on my truck. I see they make the kits so you still have your high and low beams. Just wondering if I will still be able to use the high's and low's at the same time still.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I have a brite box on my truck. I see they make the kits so you still have your high and low beams. Just wondering if I will still be able to use the high's and low's at the same time still.
Any link to the kit to keep high ad low on same time?

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Any link to the kit to keep high ad low on same time?

With HID you can't keep the high and low on at the same time. Most HID Bi-Xenon kits use a sliding bulb that acts as both high and low beam. The only way to get both working at the same time is to find a dual Xenon High/low kit and run 4 ballasts. The quality of these kits are questionable but I have seen them on the market.

·
Registered
309 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
mmmmm OK single bulb , so I need a sliding HID kit I'm guessing if I buy a kit for my truck it will be correct for high and low.
I would like to go projector lens but I did not find a kit to fit.

Any one having people flashing them at night thinking your lights to bright??

·
Si vis pacem, para bellum
2,459 Posts
mmmmm OK single bulb , so I need a sliding HID kit I'm guessing if I buy a kit for my truck it will be correct for high and low.
I would like to go projector lens but I did not find a kit to fit.

Any one having people flashing them at night thinking your lights to bright??
Not if they are aimed properly. I found the foglights to be more of a culprit with blinding people than the headlights. The foglight lens on these trucks doesn't focus the HID light pattern very well so they have to be angled down quite a bit further than they were with halogen bulbs. They still provide great visibility right in front of the truck and, most importantly, to each side such as medians and shoulders where deer and such like to hang out in anticipation of martyring themselves on your grille.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.