·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What difference is there between 55w lights and the 35w lights?:confused013:

·
Registered
974 Posts
Jus seen your thred i was lookin and 55w need a relay and wireing harness, they are brighter but they dont last as long 35w are not as bright last longer are more dependable and dont need a harness i bouggt some 35w im waitin on them to get here

·
PA VICE PRESIDENT
4,650 Posts
Never heard of 55 watt lasting less than a 35watt. I ran 55watt in my dakota for 3 years never had a problem even when I tboned a guy lights never blew still worked just like new. 55watts are brighter which is what im running in my headlights and then im running 35watts in my fog lights.

·
Registered
8 Posts
The bulbs are the same, all capable of handling 55W, the ballasts are different. Bear in mind though that the startup amperage for the ballasts if you get them from the same source and around the same production year are going to be about the same. So 35 or 55w, you're going to need a harness. it's not like a halogen where it runs the rated wattage full-time...HIDs are like fluorescents: they have high startup voltage (which is the reason for the ballasts in the first place) to overcome the high resistance, then resistance drops to near-zero when they're warmed up. You still need to push juice but if you didn't have those ballasts, the bulbs would immediately melt from too much amperage. The thing is, the ballasts are going to be drawing at least 6-8 amps full-time and up to 15 on startup. It doesn't seem like much, but on any factory harness it's a lot.

When you run 55w ballasts, bear in mind that the color temperature will be the next step up over the 35w...so a 5000K 55w will look like a 6000K 35w bulb (it's not exact, but it's right around a 1000K difference. Plus the brightness change. A 55w HID bulb and ballast will be around 3-4x the output of a 55w halogen...a 35w HID will be around twice as bright as the same 55w halogen. 35w is bright enough to see without being too bright and blinding oncoming drivers TOO much. But if you're putting these in a factory housing, you're going to glare everyone out regardless of your choice.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts