Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your truck HERE to be a part of December's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any of you who have hid's have any problems? I found a good set on amazon for $70 and want to try them. Company stands behind their product and has lots of good reviews. I want more light up front. I'm reading about hid's and see that they have a startup amp draw of 20amps then go to like 3amps which is less than halogens running constantly. Well I'm pretty sure there is no 12awg wire for headlights for that 20amps. Do you see a problem there? I don't want to melt any wires or screw something up. Let me know what you guys think.
Thanks

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
HID's runs it's own power source from the batteries. The OEM headlight wiring is only used to trigger the relays to the HID's.

BTW, you will also need 4 load resistors, 6 ohm 50 watt, for the HID kit to work properly on your truck. One each for low beam, high beam on each side.

MikeyB

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok so there is no problem with power. The load resistors is another story. Is this not included in the wiring or ballast? I've never heard about that. Where would these be installed? Thanks for your help MikeyB

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh cool, didn't come up in my search. I will check it out. Thanks

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oh man after looking at that write up that's more than I want to get into. They just don't sell a plug and play kit for out trucks? If not I go back to halogen I guess.

·
MOOB ADMIRER!
2,443 Posts

·
Registered
834 Posts
i just solved the issue all together and made my own standalone headlight system. went and bought a set of the ford auxilary switches (I KNOW!) and wired them up that way. got my headlights, fog lights, all my chicken lights, and an extra switch to mess around with on there. much easier if you ask me. but thats just my .02!

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
retro soloutions on here makes a nice kit, helped a buddy put his in the other day, turned out great. i would check them out and its a plug-n-play kit

·
Registered
45 Posts
i have a great HID fix to over ride the lamp out and flickering problem.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

·
Retro-Solutions
1,178 Posts
If you use one of these really inexpensive kits, even if you make your own wiring to be compliant with what the truck needs, they may still very well flicker. To push down the bottom line and stay competitive by having the lower price tag, many resellers of generic kits are supplying DC ballast kits these days. The problem there is flickering and lifespan are inherent problems with DC kits, if flickering if not present when new it will become an issue or get worse with bulb age.

If you are looking for a kit that is already setup for your truck so it can be a plug up and bolt down installation, we have kits from $98.09 to $167.39 depending on your needs and what you want performance wise.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Retrosolutions thanks for the info. This is getting pretty complicated for me. I am going from a sylvania ultra I think, the brightest lamp that make. I just had one burn out after a year. I would like more light, just not the complicated install and expensive hid kits. I'm looking for lifetime warranty and 6000k temp color. I spend $35 for a pair of replacement lamps right now or spend the $100 hoping to not have to replace my lamps for a while. Can you tell me more about your kits? I see it's lifetime warranty. How much for a hi and low hid kit with resistor cables? Thanks for your help. Just trying to get this figured out before I get pulled over for the one headlight.

·
Registered
5 Posts
HIDCountry in Sarasota Fla has a HID system designed for the Dodge CANBUS electrical system. Prices arent too bad either.
They have cool HID flashlights too

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Pm sent to retro solutions

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Will check out hidcountry online. Thanks

1 - 20 of 23 Posts