Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to get some hid and wanted halls opinion. is digital ballast that much better and is there a big difference between 4300k and 6000k? Thanks

·
Registered
139 Posts
Surprised on one has answered this. I will help out. Haven't done the conversion yet on my truck but I have them on my other cars. I shoot for the 6000K for the color 4300K is more of an oem HID color. 6000K is bluer but still mainly white in color.

There are 35W and 55w ballast's out there. I will be going with 55W for the increased light output. Digital ballasts are smaller.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks gtaburnout for the info. Just wondering will the 55w melt or mess anything up on the wiring harnass? What kits do u have and where did u get them? thanks again

·
Registered
3,700 Posts
i had 8k in 04 1500 and loved them, then i went to 4300k in the this truck and dont really like them. IMO 6k would be prefect

·
Premium Member
11,989 Posts
higher Kelvin(k) value means bluer light and less light output....

·
Registered
197 Posts
you should be ok running a 55w kit. i switched to them from a 35w kit in my car and have 4300k in my truck high, low and fogs. I like 4300k just cause they have the most ouput and it's a clean white light, not blue. Most factory hid headlights are actually 4100k, but you wont really tell the difference between them and the 4300k. Make sure you get the relay kit and you may have to run resistors.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
the one in my avatar pic r 8Ks. they r EXTREMELY brite. i hav 55w ballests and have them wired up with relays so i dont hav to hav the resistor mod. if u run them off the OEM harness ull need to ge the resistor mod cuz the computer will shut them off thinking there is a blown blub there.

on my truck i made my own brite boxes (keeps lows on with highs). takes 2 relays per side with a diode between them and use the OEM harness jus to switch the relays. get the power for the lights directly fromt he battery. mine works GREAT not lights ont he dash and no flicker, plus i can hav my lows/fogs on when i flip to high beam. so now when i go to high beam i hav 6 8K 55w HID bulbs shinin. i can make street signs make u squint when i drive by.:party018:

·
Registered
197 Posts
the one in my avatar pic r 8Ks. they r EXTREMELY brite. i hav 55w ballests and have them wired up with relays so i dont hav to hav the resistor mod. if u run them off the OEM harness ull need to ge the resistor mod cuz the computer will shut them off thinking there is a blown blub there.

on my truck i made my own brite boxes (keeps lows on with highs). takes 2 relays per side with a diode between them and use the OEM harness jus to switch the relays. get the power for the lights directly fromt he battery. mine works GREAT not lights ont he dash and no flicker, plus i can hav my lows/fogs on when i flip to high beam. so now when i go to high beam i hav 6 8K 55w HID bulbs shinin. i can make street signs make u squint when i drive by.:party018:
hold on...do your hid's not pull the shield thing over the filament to switch to high or how did you modify it exactly? you 55w bulbs are the reason you don't need resistors, 35w's will. always run the hid ballasts off the battery with a relay and a fuse.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
hold on...do your hid's not pull the shield thing over the filament to switch to high or how did you modify it exactly? you 55w bulbs are the reason you don't need resistors, 35w's will. always run the hid ballasts off the battery with a relay and a fuse.
i tried to run them off the OEM harness when i had the boguth brite boxes and they would flicker then go off. i hav CCFL angle eye projector head lights so there r 2 light bulbs in each light housing not jsu the one liek the stock ones hav.

i dont need resistors at all and soon as i wired up the relays with them getting the LOAD power from the bat they worked great. i had to buy 3 HID kits for my truck. 1 for the fogs, 1 for the low beams, and 1 for the high beams.

thats one side b4 i cleaned it up. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
PS- dont mean to hijack but if anybody that does alot of HID stuff has a burnt/broke/busted ballest box i need one of the female plugs that got to the bulb off of it. i jus put HIDs on my bike and one of the dam wires got snaged on the fork and pulled the wire off inside the plug:banghead:.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What didn't u like bout the 4300k?

i had 8k in 04 1500 and loved them, then i went to 4300k in the this truck and dont really like them. IMO 6k would be prefect

·
Registered
36 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts