Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long story short: my hg started leaking coolant at 205k miles so I pulled the head and installed some head studs, 60lb springs, and I m having the head o-ringed.

I m looking at getting some sdx injectors (either 5x.012 or 5x.014) and going with a big single turbo or the twin set-up from source that use the hx35 and a s400.

My question is: How long can I expect the HG to last with everyday driving and occasional towing of no more than 10k. I like to get on it but I know when to lay off the skinny pedal too.

Any personal experience with this question would be helpful

Thanks

·
Premium Member
8,036 Posts
If the head & block are square, and the HG is bedded-in and retorqued properly, the HG should last forever. it should hold more than either of those combos can easily produce.

I run an Oringed head & ARP 2k studs and see 75psi DAILY with no issues.

Just use common sense and it will be fine. no crazy timing or water/nos injections.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If the head & block are square, and the HG is bedded-in and retorqued properly, the HG should last forever. it should hold more than either of those combos can easily produce.

I run an Oringed head & ARP 2k studs and see 75psi DAILY with no issues.

Just use common sense and it will be fine. no crazy timing or water/nos injections.
Copy that

What timing are you running?

I was thinking of doing a water/meth injection if I had egt problems.... are you saying thats a bad idea and will shorten the life of the HG?

·
Premium Member
8,036 Posts
Too much of anything can be bad. a lot of factors affect HG life. mostly cylinder pressure.
water doesnt like to compress, neither does fuel esp after it ignites!

I have a 24v w/ lots of mods so my timing is different.

IIRC, most 12v are happy around 16*

·
Registered
325 Posts
I have over 300,000 miles on my stock HG. and i have been running SourceAutomotive Twins for the last 50,000. and she will see 67 lbs of boost quite regularly.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I have over 300,000 miles on my stock HG. and i have been running SourceAutomotive Twins for the last 50,000. and she will see 67 lbs of boost quite regularly.
Thanks, thats exactly the info I was looking for. How much horsepower are you making and what kind of EGT's are you running?

·
Registered
325 Posts
Thanks, thats exactly the info I was looking for. How much horsepower are you making and what kind of EGT's are you running?
Around 600 and egt's 70mph flat 650*-750* empty. 900 towing (12,000) but will jump to 1200* at the thought of a hill. but i have a 14cm housing on the primary and a bunch of fuel. if i had a 12cm housing i would stay cooler due to the lower rpm range at boost.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Around 600 and egt's 70mph flat 650*-750* empty. 900 towing (12,000) but will jump to 1200* at the thought of a hill. but i have a 14cm housing on the primary and a bunch of fuel. if i had a 12cm housing i would stay cooler due to the lower rpm range at boost.
thats lower EGT's than what I was thinking. I like the 600HP part though!

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
O-ring and 425's ARP's, and I see 85-90psi. No issue yet (knock on wood)

·
Registered
432 Posts
My EGTs are around 600-650 empty on the freeway and around 1100-1150 or so while towing my buddies single car hauler up the hill toward Reno NV. I see around 65 PSI if I get on it in the higher gears. So far so good, just over 8000 miles on the truck since the build, 175,000 or so total on the engine.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts