Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Banned
1,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well i finally found some time to rip into this [email protected] just wanted to post some pics of the build up of getting o-rings and studs.

rippin into it.

got the head off

oily pile of F*ck

gasket carnage

off to the machine shop to get o-rings

·
Registered
151 Posts
What were you doing when this happened?

·
Banned
1,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
pulling a 26ft gooseneck loaded with scrap metal

·
Banned
1,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
idk yet.... just pulled head today. im gunna call around tomarrow. ill letcha know wats going on with it eric.... cuz i know you wanna ring ur head.

·
Registered
801 Posts
idk yet.... just pulled head today. im gunna call around tomarrow. ill letcha know wats going on with it eric.... cuz i know you wanna ring ur head.
i have a place for you. I know somebody with discounted rates at his old machine shop.

·
Banned
1,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
and this is the second hg in a month.... and eric. wats the name of the game bud????

im so sick of drivin this cj-7.... i want my truck bak!!!!!!

·
Banned
469 Posts
Ouch man sorry that happened!
how many miles on that set of HG's?

·
Banned
1,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
the first HG had 119k.... the the 2nd went out the door with under 300 miles on it.:banghead:

·
Banned
1,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
yes sir!!!!

·
Registered
536 Posts
that was ur problem fel pro's suck you have to use a oem cummins gasket all fel pro diesel gaskets suck, i bet if u put a oem in there it would be fine

·
Registered
555 Posts
really about the fel pro?

i am being friendly dont get me wrong i only run fel pro. it was a fel pro but the head had not been resurfaced. we did it at the shop (pvc) but i could not get it in to get milled at the machine shop i use, and we made the okay to run it like that with the reason of getting o rings in the future lol i guess life comes at you fast. in case completely unexpected

i use a fel pro on my race truck 135ft/lb torque on head bolts (not studs) 100psi at wot 75psi regular for 10,000miles everyday gonna be a daily driver again for this next week lol

i guess it is just some peoples opinion and luck

we heat torque every head we do and every engine we turn up even if we do not take the head off unless other wise told by owner.

but yes we do take partial blame here at pvc for not getting the head decked considering out time restraints?

have you found some one to do the machine work for o rings yet? i have still not called anyone yet lol things are busy down here

·
Banned
1,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
i ordered a HG set through my buddys that works for cummins.... so gunna be oem,

and as for the o-rings, idk if im gunna do them. when i called turbo auto diesel they acted like they had better to do than mess wit me... so i said piss on you to then!!!

im getting new head bolts with that HG kit.... so im gunna heat torque em. and run them while waiting for my studs(and 6" black stacks:peelout) to get here, then just replace the bolts one at a time.

·
Registered
801 Posts
i ordered a HG set through my buddys that works for cummins.... so gunna be oem,

and as for the o-rings, idk if im gunna do them. when i called turbo auto diesel they acted like they had better to do than mess wit me... so i said piss on you to then!!!

im getting new head bolts with that HG kit.... so im gunna heat torque em. and run them while waiting for my studs(and 6" black stacks:peelout) to get here, then just replace the bolts one at a time.
I'll find out the name of the shop. Probably around $300 for the head to have grooves machined into it. Please dont put that head back on without rings. I dont want to see the next thread with this same title :banghead:

·
Banned
1,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
i hear ya on that one.... well i have my experience if anyone needs help remove the head

·
Registered
536 Posts
really about the fel pro?

i am being friendly dont get me wrong i only run fel pro. it was a fel pro but the head had not been resurfaced. we did it at the shop (pvc) but i could not get it in to get milled at the machine shop i use, and we made the okay to run it like that with the reason of getting o rings in the future lol i guess life comes at you fast. in case completely unexpected

i use a fel pro on my race truck 135ft/lb torque on head bolts (not studs) 100psi at wot 75psi regular for 10,000miles everyday gonna be a daily driver again for this next week lol

i guess it is just some peoples opinion and luck

we heat torque every head we do and every engine we turn up even if we do not take the head off unless other wise told by owner.

but yes we do take partial blame here at pvc for not getting the head decked considering out time restraints?

have you found some one to do the machine work for o rings yet? i have still not called anyone yet lol things are busy down here
ive tried running fel pro several times once on a head gasket which blew in 250 miles and i replaced with a oem cummins gasket that has been holding for over 15k now with no re surface of the head either time the gasket was replaced and valve cover gaskets that leaked 3x as worse as my old stock ones and i have had several buddies blow there fel pro head gaskets in less then a 1000 miles back when i did my head gasket for a 2nd time i searched alot on dtr comp diesel and tdr and i found nothing but bad results about the fel pro gaskets even when guys ran head studs and o rings this was back in early 2008 so maybe fel pro has got there stuff together since then but i would rather spend a couple more dollars and get a quality gasket that i know i can trust. now if it was my gas motor i would run a fel pro no questions asked

phatboy throw a oem cummins gasket in there and i can almost garuantee it will hold

·
Registered
555 Posts
ya i have talked to alot of guys about that with head gaskets for sure i am almost positive felpro changed there head gasket but mine is mid 07 when it was built lol no biggie oem is always better i work for empire cat for the mean time and i can asure you i know the meaning between oem and non

but as mentioned with how we install and torque head gaskets fel pro has worked everytime except the last time i am having some custom copper gaskets made with silicone coating only down side is studs have to be used with copper there is almost no tolerance to streching bolts but only shquashing copper lol. nice debating with you smokem i aapreciate a good convo! with out any smart makes cummins forum enjoyable

by the way you make it out to buckeye at all i thoguh i seen your truck at like 5 am in buckeye off of miller road and baseline?? could be wrong not to many ext all white firstgens

1 - 20 of 25 Posts