Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey everyone! i'm new here to the forums.

i've come to learn from you all and your setups.

seems i'm not the only one who's come to learn about the compound turbo setups you all do. i'd hate to hear the sighs in aggravation from you all knowing "Gah! another one... *sigh*:thud:".

but i must ask if anyone who has images of their setup in mid to high detail to post them here for me. i have a pretty good idea of how the setup works. my goal isn't to create the most insane power levels ever, but more along the lines of having a decent high rpm power while having a gutsy low end aswell.

my setup is being done on a Toyota 3SGTE 2.0L turbo engine that is stroked to 2.2L marketed *2.139L actual*. my power goal is only about 400-450hp with a gutsy low end. i was going to be using a set of Garrett turbos, a GT2554R as the primary and a GT3076R as the secondary pre-compressor. now out of a running rpm range of 1,000-9,000rpm, the GT2554R would be giving it's power from it's spool point upto about 4,500rpm while the bigger GT3076R would start through in it's pre-compressed power into the GT25. i know the exhaust side can handle it just fine as long as the primary is wastegated to a safe point and have the gated gas redirected back into the secondary turbo. but what i don't understand is how it is safe for the pre-compressed air to be thrown into the smaller primary turbo like that?

the concept i'm getting in my head is that the small primary wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the ambient atmospheric pressure and pre-compressed atmosphere because it's based off of a pressure ratio both before and after the compressor it's self thus the concept of a compound being able to work without any problems?

also, how do you estimate a given boost with both turbos giving boost at the same time? i'm pretty sure you can't just add the two resulting pressures togethere, there would be a gap based off each turbo's efficiency combined right?

right, well sorry for the long read. but i'm fascinated with the compound turbo concept and for my build it would be perfect.

·
Premium Member
25,250 Posts
:welcome: Winter. I'll let one of the pro's get into that. :thumbsup

Dodge | Commins | Forum

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks a ton, the more i can learn about it, the better!

i'm actually a good fan of the diesels. my old man recently got him self a GMC with a cummings in it. think it's a 3500HD? it's the one with the 6.6L turbo, freakin' love that thing! my old man's really got no reason to even have it, he's got nothing to tow :p. last time i took a test drive with him. i drifted it on the icy/snowy roads and was able to keep it sideways all the way down a mile long straight as if i was just cruising the road... LOVE IT! :p

·
Registered
296 Posts
sitting in a high truck, i wouldn't be surprised if you would mistake a small car for a speed bump :hyper: jk
Ohhhhh.......you mean the shiny ones :lol3:

·
Registered
20 Posts
i think u got the d-max confused with the cummins, cummins is avail for dodge, d-max for chevy/gmc

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
if it helps any, i already know the ropes of turbo tech and the math behind it.

something i notice is that people automatically assume that it's a Twin turbo system just because it uses two turbos... but they don't realize that Twin means twin turbos as in twin babies and they either work at the same time or in sequential mode. compound should be shear logic. a compound bow should be a good example, it uses pulleys as leverage to produce a much more powerful throw of force over a conventional bow.

my problem is how exactly would i match up the perfect system? i'm assuming you match the larger turbo based off of what pressure ratio the smaller turbo is seeing at it's top end point right? thus lets say for example if the smaller turbo is seeing a 2.5:1 pressure ratio at it's highest programed point, then the larger turbo would have to come in with the same air flow and surpass it at the same pressure ratio or lower so that there isn't a gap between the two powers and there isn't a surging energy being randomly pushed onto the smaller turbo. so as long as this is taken care of, then it's just as easy as throwing on a single turbo just involves more money... and produces wonders...

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
I'm getting the feeling that most people here don't know what a Toyota is much less how to put a twin turbo on one. Maybe if there was a Cummins powered Toyota....

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
they don't need to know the engine it's going on. i just need to know if i've got the concept right or not before i blow a perfectly good engine.

it's a gasoline engine, thats the only difference and it runs on a 9.0:1 compression rather then 20 something to 1.

engine really has nothing to do with it really, just the turbos.

·
3rd Gen Guy
2,095 Posts
:welcome: i will give you a welcome bump and see if anyone knows about toyota cars on here.. let me try and get a pro or moderator on that! :peelout :beer

·
Registered
343 Posts
I want to welcome you too! Sorry that I don't know anything about turbos (Other than that I like what they do when they work correctly!!).

Maybe you should look around and call some of the pro turbo 'builders' that are around. If it doesn't matter what the motor is, then they should be able to help you out....

1 - 18 of 18 Posts