Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yep it might happen.. going to the gasser.. I test drove the new 2009 1500, and liked it. I don't know anything about the Hemi .. is it reliable ? can it tow my 10,000 lb trailer .. I just know it ran like a scolded monkey when I got on it , and the interior was about perfect.

·
Diesel-less
4,274 Posts
Yep it might happen.. going to the gasser.. I test drove the new 2009 1500, and liked it. I don't know anything about the Hemi .. is it reliable ? can it tow my 10,000 lb trailer .. I just know it ran like a scolded monkey when I got on it , and the interior was about perfect.
I have never heard of the Hemi engines having any problems. Towing the 10k trailer I have no clue because I haven't tried that :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
can it tow my 10,000 lb trailer .. I just know it ran like a scolded monkey when I got on it , and the interior was about perfect.
ummm, you might want to take a peak under the bed of that truck... you will find a multi-link, coil over suspension... I really doubt you want to put a 10k trailer behind that truck.

·
Premium Member
439 Posts
Can you please explaine why you would switch to a gas motor when you tow 10k? That doesnt make any sence in my head.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I only tow that about once every 2-3 months.. 10,000 is fully loaded .. trailer dry is 7300 lbs. So daily driving is a lot more important to me nowadays. Hemi seems to be a nice fit with tow option.

·
Registered
602 Posts
I know it seems more realistic to have this for a commuter vehicle, but, the first time you hook to that trailer your gonna say"what the hell did i do"

·
Registered
465 Posts
I also have an 08 Hemi, QC, SB, auto. Although I would say that this truck is a much more highway friendly truck it is not all that fuel friendly. In town we are getting about 13 - 14 mpg. While the truck is way more comfortable on the road than the dually it is not getting as good of fuel mileage in town. On the highway the Hemi can get 21 mpg but that is more the exception rather than the norm.

LT.

·
Registered
347 Posts
the new rear suspension on the 2009 and 10 trucks is a coil i wouldnt tow anything heavy with that. i had a hemi in my 05 now i know they changed some things but just towing my 18ft boat i got 8mpg with it. and she lost all her power the second you hooked up to anything. being someone that owned on i would never buy another hemi again. and if you like the new interior i would wait untill summer and get the new cummins it has the same interior and the 2009 1500's just my 2 cents

·
Registered
2,595 Posts

·
On call 24/7
12,577 Posts
Youve got the last of the best engine ever made and your gonna swapp for a gas hog:confused013::doh: I think you gonna regret it.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
that hemi will get for gas mileage when towing and also will feel like a 4 cylinder car when towing! unloaded, i think you'll still be better off daily driving the diesel. i really can't think of any reason to go froma diesel to a gasser excep tthe ride maybe but that is so minor compared to all the benefits of your diesel it doesn't even start to compare. just my opinion though.
besides, your truck is still stock! put a box or programmer on it and it will runjust as strong as that hemi!

·
Registered
602 Posts
The only thing i can agree with him on is that the damn repair costs on diesels are friggin rediculous! Anything that goes wrong costs like a minimum of $1000. But i would buy a chevy gasser before a dodge.

·
Registered
43 Posts
you will be begging to have that Cummins under the hood when you hook up to that 10,000lbs trailor and that Hemi poors the gas out just my humble opinion:doh:

·
Registered
263 Posts
ill take your old truck :D

·
Registered
123 Posts
Yeah,as a matter of fact 09 is probably going to be the only year for the rear coils, 2010 is going back to leaf springs to keep up with the competition 1/2 tons to tow that 10k.

heres the article
Reported: Dodge Ram Ditching Coil Springs For Leafs - PickupTrucks.com News
It's an April's Fools joke, the coil rear is going to stick around.

I wouldn't tow over 5k lbs with a gasser. My old 2004 Ram 5.7L had 320rwhp with my mods and pulled my dad's big wakeboard boat (around 4klbs without the trailer) no problem but it didn't feel great. I've pulled with an 08 Crewcab F-150 and it was way underpowered, plus didn't handle the weight well either.

I would just get a 2010 HD. They have the best interior out there (like the 09 1500's) and it'll have the 6.7L and the weight and suspension to control that heavy of a trailer.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Anybody know when that 2010 model will be hitting the show-room floor ? I would hate to see the prices go back up to the 53,000 mark before it's release... I'll never be able to afford that.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts