Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Help

748 10
I recently bought a 04 5.9 196000 miles on the truck I was driving home from work one night and I heard a awkward noise it has the nv5600 tranny it was comeing from sixth gear got out Shut the truck off checked the fluid and I wouldn't say it was empty but very low put fluid into the tranny started the truck up and it was makeing a noise not a grind or a popping noise kind of a mix between the two. Took back off down the interstate ran through 1st through 5 no issues hit sixth and let out clutch and horrible noises took it back out and put it into fifth no issues so I know sixth gear is makeing a noise. It still will move in sixth but didn't want to hurt tranny anymore. So question is can u rebuild just sixth gear if so how much is to be expected
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5,192 Posts
Yes, you can just replace 6th gear. Depending on miles, You may also want to do bearings. If not, definitely replace the syncros when you were have the transmission taken apart. Get a good manual and it should show you how to do it. Most manual transmissions are actually not that complicated. Good luck.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
62 Posts
make sure you clean everything if you decide to build it yourself it doesnt take much more then a small sliver of metal to start messing up internals. good luck i agree with rgsauger most manuals arent complicated to rebuild.

·
Registered
5,192 Posts
make sure you clean everything if you decide to build it yourself it doesnt take much more then a small sliver of metal to start messing up internals. good luck i agree with rgsauger most manuals arent complicated to rebuild.
+1!!! Just remember that cleanliness is next to godliness when it comes to building transmissions and you'll be just fine. Good luck. You can do it!

·
Registered
5,192 Posts
At almost 200 K miles, it might can use a clutch too. If you were going to pull the transmission out to rebuild it, you need to look strongly at installing a clutch at the same time unless it is almost new. South Bend makes a great one.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.