Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i asked this question awhile back and thought i had it fixed but guess not. i just got done putting my hs 5tbe, egr/egr cooler delete and edge with attitude on my truck. after i got everything on and drove my truck a couple days i realize my batteries didnt seem to be charging. so i went back and checked all the connections and everything was fine to how the directions said. so i thought maybe the batteries. so i replaced the batteries and that only seem to help alittle. im hoping its not the alternator since the truck only has 13000 miles on it but im out of ideas. if anyone could help i would really apperciate it. thanks:confused013:

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
if its suppose to on the number 30 15 amp fuse than yes. that was one thing i was confused about. they its suppose to be a spare fuse but when i looked in the owners manual it controls the power start, abs and some other things.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i dont think anything would be draining the batteries while its off. the truck sat for a couple days and they didnt fully die. it seems like on every start up is when them seem to loose there power and dont seem to charge while driving. its driving me nuts and im not the greatest with car electrics either haha

·
Registered
497 Posts
what does your volt gauge say? if its chargin then your bats. or on there way out

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
when there charged its in between 14 and the other line which i think is 10. before i put everything on it was at a steady 14

·
Mr. Vehicle Destroyer
11,934 Posts
How old are your batteries, have you had them checked for a dead cell? Checked the electrolyte level? 1 dead cell between the two batteries will still cause a problem. This can usually be checked with a meter or a load box.

·
Registered
361 Posts
He already replaced the batterys, so either something is draining them or his Alt is going bye-bye!

·
Registered
306 Posts
doesnt autozone test batteries and ALT for free.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ya they do im gonna take the alt off this weekend and take out to autozone. im hoping its not it, but seems like im getting a nasty burning smell from it every once in awhile.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i appreciate all the help guys to. like i said me and auto electirc dont get along top well haha.

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
Same thing happened to me. brand new C&C, upon start up right when i would crank the engine, everything would reset, radio, clock etc. Thought it was the power pup programmer, so took it off. got to doing some investigation and both my negative bat cables werent absolutely tight. they were tight but needed to be tightened more. they are really tight now!!!

·
Registered
228 Posts
i had this problem when my truck had about 5000 miles on it. Turned out it had bad ground strap and it took the dealer almost a week to find it and fix it. They started the same way you did, batteries, new alt., in the end it was the ground strap(s)

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
you know were any one the ground straps are located? i looked today but couldnt find them. it was a real quick look tho so i prob missed them haha

1 - 15 of 15 Posts