Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just bought me some train horns, tank and compressor and i meed to know where you guys that have them put them. my truck is a SWB so there isnt that much room and i dont really wnat to loose my spare tire.. if some one could help me i would greatly appreciate it as well as some pics for reference..

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
i had them on my shortbed chevy but you should consider mounting them on the inside of the bed like next to the frame

·
Registered
179 Posts
I have my tank mounted in my toolbox. The compressor was in there but it blowed up. Dont think it was big enough though. Horns are mounted on my skid plate just behind the tranny. Kinda tight but fits nice.

·
HI
3,442 Posts
i have mine were my spair tire was and my tank in my tool box. i know a guy who has his mounted next to his fuel filler tube under the bed. he has a bracket running from the frame over to the horns from the side.

·
rghnck
440 Posts
I took u bolts and mounted the tank to my stacks in the bed, but the compressor on a stand to keep it just above the compressor, ran the lines through the front of the bed on the pass side. ran the line to the front and mounted the horns behind the front bumper..

I never got pics taken, but it worked pretty well.

hope that helps

·
Premium Member
1,929 Posts
I came across this link

HornBlasters Air Horn Products Catalog! Find The Perfect Train Air Horn For Your Car Or Truck!

This is pretty much how Im doing mine. The electrical portion is all I have left. Im going over to CEpp's place tonight. He's pretty damn good with that sort of thing. He's the one that does all of the blue LED dash light kits. I will try to get pictures and such.
Might want to keep this thread rolling for any advice and tech tips on the install as I KNOW there will be a BUNCH of people needing advice. Alot of people bought kits through the group buy. :thumbsup

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ok i after looking at the link above i think that i will mount my compressor and tank where they show it but since my horns are the 3 trumpet pyramid style i believe i am gonna put them on the inside of the driver side frame rail facing the rear in front of the fuel tank and behing the transmission crossmember... thanks guys for your help..

·
Registered
56 Posts
'08 SWB Mounting

Ill snap some pictures tomorrow but, I have a tank, compressor, and 4 trumpet all mounted under my truck unseen.

The tank and compressor are mounted on the frame passenger side, the horn is mounted to the skid rails behind the transfer case facing forward.

One thing to be carefull of is drilling your frame.

I drilled and taped all of my holes. I cant remember where I found it but there is a guideline on how far to stay away from the top with certain size holes on the rail.:peelout

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
post pictures once yours are mounted up! I need ideas of where to install mine when I order the train horn kit

·
Registered
769 Posts
I don't have train horns, but I do have dual semi truck horns. I know some of you want to keep the spare tire, but for me, I couldn't use it anymore. So, I used all of the spare tire space to mount both air horns, solenoid, tank, and compressor. Everything works perfect.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I would really like to see anyones installed pics or suggestions. I would like to keep my spare; but I have the 4 trumpet horn set up with the 5 gal. tank. If there are serious concerns regarding drilling locations on the frame that might compromise the integrity of the frame please advise...Obviously I'd employ common sense with diameter sizes and not on or near bends. I've been buying more mods faster than I can install them! Gotta slow down a lil bit over here. Thanks for the group buy and always a pleasure to be a part of the forum!:thumbsup

·
Registered
40 Posts
I have mounted 3 for customers and I mounted the horns on the driver frame rail in front of the fuel tank. I drilled through both side of the frame to mount the horns. mounted the air tank on the outside of the passenger frame. (Depends on size of tank) compressor under the hood.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I have mounted 3 for customers and I mounted the horns on the driver frame rail in front of the fuel tank. I drilled through both side of the frame to mount the horns. mounted the air tank on the outside of the passenger frame. (Depends on size of tank) compressor under the hood.

where at under the hood and i though that the steel braided line had to hook directly to the tank

·
Registered
8 Posts
Compressor and air tanks are inside tool box. Hope this helps.

Greg

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Metrohick ,
I have the four horn set with the five gallon tank mounted on an 08 QCLB .Tank and compressor is mounted on the passenger side framerail and horns are mounteded to the underside of the bed floor on brackets that I fabricated. all tucked away nicely. Who did you get your kit from?

·
Registered
580 Posts
i have them on my ford and had the compressor and tank in my tool box. then the hornes mounted on the back side of my tool box. that worked pritty good i wanted to put them on the frame rails but i did to much mudding dint wanna mess them up.. were are you guys getting the 4 trumpet setups witht the tanks??

1 - 20 of 46 Posts