Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been lurking on the forum here for a while and finally am able to get a new truck. I currently have a 2008 Ford F250 6.4 H&S deleted and am looking to purchase a 2014. I recently drove the ram 2500 laramie and the 250 lariat both with diesel obviously. Now coming from a tuned truck theres obviously going to be a difference but the ford seemed much quicker with no turbo lag. Now i need some help deciding sell me on the ram why is it better as a ford guy for my entire life first a 7.3 than a 6.0 and now a 6.4 is it worth it to make the switch.

Heres what I dislike about both.

Ford
Interior not as nice as ram
no mega cab
no heated steering wheel option on lariat (hate the platnium)
no garmin nav ford whole infotainment system sucks

Ram
doors are too light always close on there own
tow mirrors suck no power extend or fold like on my 6.4
no keyless entry pad so you can lock your keys in the truck
not sure about the new 14 suspension with springs (any good/just as durable)
Truck dosnt seem to move as quick with a 6 cylinder
no hd trans on the 2500 (heard horror stories about dodge tranny)
no dedicated tuner company that i know of to delete emisions like spartan for for ford.

Help Please?

·
Premium Member
452 Posts
Plain and simple. I have had both. Ford uses the c.p.4 fuel pump which has been known to self destruct with the slightest bit of water. Costing the owner 10000 to 14000 in repairs. Dodge uses the c.p.3 with is a tried and true pump. I loved my ford much quicker than my new ram. But I can sleep better at night with my ram. Just my two cent!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
591 Posts
Well, doors aren't too light, just the detents are not as well defined or as deep, leading to the easy close. You must not have experienced the ford engine issues?
Look at both, inside, and out, under hood, and underneath, and tell me which one is better built and stouter?
Sounds like your sticking with ford, but me, having dumped my 2011 before it dumped valves, or spit injectors, or blew a turbo, see no reason to EVER own a ford again.

Reactions: DIESELBLOCK

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I had nothing but problems with my 6.0 got rid of that POS. The 6.4 has been great and a huge step up. The door thing is stupid just something I noticed parked on a slight grade during my test ride. Ride quality seemed similar but then again it is a 3/4 truck just didnt know what to expect with this new air or spring rear suspension.

·
Go Packers
8,814 Posts
Having owned a 6.0 & all the headaches that went with it, FOMOCO lost my business & any future business as well. I read the Powerstroke forum now & then. Lots of issues. Mechanical failures that are blamed on owner caused, and will not warranty the issue. Your money, your choice. Unless Ford had done something short of miraculous, be ready for let downs. Ford is on its 3rd diesel engine now. That speaks volumes for itself. Best wishes. P.S. I would not trade sig truck for a brand new Platinum or the fanciest best truck Ford claims to make, even if it was an even trade.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Been lurking on the forum here for a while and finally am able to get a new truck. I currently have a 2008 Ford F250 6.4 H&S deleted and am looking to purchase a 2014. I recently drove the ram 2500 laramie and the 250 lariat both with diesel obviously. Now coming from a tuned truck theres obviously going to be a difference but the ford seemed much quicker with no turbo lag. Now i need some help deciding sell me on the ram why is it better as a ford guy for my entire life first a 7.3 than a 6.0 and now a 6.4 is it worth it to make the switch.

Heres what I dislike about both.

Ford
Interior not as nice as ram
no mega cab
no heated steering wheel option on lariat (hate the platnium)
no garmin nav ford whole infotainment system sucks

Ram
doors are too light always close on there own
tow mirrors suck no power extend or fold like on my 6.4
no keyless entry pad so you can lock your keys in the truck
not sure about the new 14 suspension with springs (any good/just as durable)
Truck dosnt seem to move as quick with a 6 cylinder
no hd trans on the 2500 (heard horror stories about dodge tranny)
no dedicated tuner company that i know of to delete emisions like spartan for for ford.

Help Please?
What you say about locking your keys in the truck in not a valid issue. The Ram has key fob that goes into the ignition and has a key that you keep in your wallet incase you leave the fob in your truck. I owned a DMAX before I bought this Ram and am getting 3.5 MPG better with the Ram. :party018:

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just bought my first 13 ram 2500 with cummins. No problems at all with 4k on the odometer. Ford bought my 6.0 back. No more ford diesels for me. Hands down the interior and looks of the ram makes the f series look old and dated. I have had bmw's with interiors inferior to my longhorn. Will be ordering a 3500 with air suspension.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
If you're gonna drive around empty all the time, id keep your 6.4. If you are gonna use the truck the Cummins is the best overall package for pulling. The 68rfe im getting used to, I'm also a ford convert so it still seems sloppy to me compared to my old 5R, but once the converter locks its great. Around 3500 miles on mine and everything seems to be working better, definitely faster when merging onto the highway, engine sounds better, trans is shifting better.

But it would still get circles run around it by a tuned 6.4, heck my 6.0 would smoke this thing in a race with or w/o a 10k trailer. There is a lot of torque management down low that really softens up the power delivery on these new trucks. Once the trans locks up and the computer lets you have the power, its a beast and pulls awesome. Just 0-40 or so its a dog compared to my tuned 6.0 which is no match power wise for your 6.4.

The Ford will drive better empty, the Ram will drive better with a load behind it. So i guess it depends on how you plan to use the truck....

Jason

·
Registered
62 Posts
I drove a new king ranch 250 yesterday just so i could make an informed decision before i buy a new one in march. The dealer was great and i did a 40 mile loop with a mix of town and interstate. I love the supplemental heater in the ford and the vents had heat within a couple minutes. Im used to my 03 dodge that takes forever to get any warmth. The ford was a little quieter around town but at speed the wind noise is worse than a new ram. For roughly the same price i was way underwhelmed by the interior of the ford. The leather is not as nice, the nav is horrible, and the seats aren't as nice or comfortable compared to ram. Power is better down low in the ram but i do think that empty in passing on the interstate the ford may have it... Pure speculation. The ram rides way better with the new rear suspension over the expansion joints on the interstate. For what its worth after a good test drive, the fuel pump issues, and the overall feel of the ford i will be buying another new ram. Im keeping my 03 for fun even after buying a new one as its a beast and a great truck.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
The new trucks warm up pretty fast. About twice as fast as my 6.0 w/egr delete and probably 4 times as fast as my old 24v did.

Jason

·
Registered
678 Posts
The new trucks warm up pretty fast. About twice as fast as my 6.0 w/egr delete and probably 4 times as fast as my old 24v did.

Jason
With the heated steering wheel & seats, It gets pretty comfortable waiting for the heater to come on. But compared to my old '97, .. well, there is no comparison, It hardly ever warmed up enough to use the heater.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for all the input guys. The only thing I tow here on Long Island is my boat about 5miles and my camper about 30 a few times a year. Its really just my everyday driver. Hopefully someone comes out with a delete for the 2013-14 ram. Also racquet9 I have alot of keys on my ring for the firehouse so I wouldnt just be able to carry the fob. With my ford I can park somewhere and if I dont feel like bringing all my keys with me you can lock the whole set in the truck and use the pad to get in later. Example: a football game or tailgating party or if i want to leave them for someone else to drive or service the truck. someone else to drive or pickup my truck.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
It's a trade off. The Powerstroke and duramax both feel way stronger when empty. No doubt about it. I feel the duramax is stronger then the Powerstroke too.

I currently have an ecoboost which feels like a rocket ship compared to any of them. Had some modded 5.9 cummins trucks prior which also felt stronger.

However I'm in the market for a 3/4 ton again as I go over my payload capacity quite often and I tow 5-7k all time (about 20% of my miles on the truck). I really wish I could just get the ecoboost in the f250. You can't though so I think the cummins is the next best option for my needs.

Here's why:

Cummins reliability is good.
Ram truck is nicer
2500 coils ride fantastic
Fuel mileage is good and up compared to the non urea
Trucks

The 6.7 ford has had some issues. IMO it's a step up from the 6.0 and 6.4 but I don't think it matches the cummins and duramax reliability.
The turbo and fuel system have been problematic. Plus the radiator issues.
The improved 2015 may fix these issues but we won't know till people get some time and miles on those. I thought about a 15 Powerstroke but I don't want to be on a first year ford engine or engine refinement anyways.

That being said I love my ecoboost. It's been fantastic and ecoboost rocks. Tows like diesel and it's a rocket ship.

But despite the cummins feeling slower I think it's the better truck. I'm hoping for some tuners come out to improve the power and reduce the torque management. The cummins pulls great I just think the programming is very mild. I'm sure the tuners will make for a nice improvement

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The interior and 8.4an nav is amazing in the ram also. The 2015 Sierra 2500 is supose to be out mid feb-early march I heard may be worth the wait Just have a good deal worked out on ford and ram now. Wouldnt even consider the current sierra for a $55k plastic interior.

·
Registered
122 Posts
With my keyless go system I can leave my keys in the console and lock the doors and just carry one key with me or I can hid the key in a "Hide a Key". I had a 2011 F350 KR CC and it was nice to have the door code. The main reason I want to be able to lock my keys in the truck is I ride ATVs and don't want to take a chance on having my key fob falling out of my jeans pocket somewhere on the road and get back to the truck and not be able to get in. When I picked up my new truck it had 2 key fobs with hidden keys in each one and 2 separate keys. Nobody could explain to me why I would have separate keys and then I figured it out.

I was never able to lock my keys in the truck on the Ford because it sensed they were still in the truck. I only used the keyless when I was messing around outside and wanted into the truck and didn't have my keys with me. That is still when I miss it on my Ram.

·
Registered
795 Posts
one look at the powerstroke forums was enough for me to say no blue oval. motors being replaced at 25-60km is unacceptable IMO!! warraties being voided because they say u didnt drain the water is unacceptable. ive seen cummins motors put through the worst conditions and still run fine heck i know of 2 6.7s that didnt have a fuel filter change untill 150,000kms and still pulled and ran fine (i would never try this lol) but id say cummins has got it rite considering these motors havent changed a heck of alot since they where introduced in 87 or what ever year it was.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I had the keypad on my f250, but the keyless go fob is even nicer. No need to find keys or remote, just throw it in a pocket, and walk up to the door, it unlocks when you grab the handle, and you start it with the button. Once you live with it for a few days you will love it.

I drove both also while deciding, I like the honest, solid growl of the cummins, and the firm shifts of the 68rfe. You can tell the did not try to tune it like a luxury car, but for work. Also the ram has quicker steering, tighter turning circle, and just handles better.

·
Registered
591 Posts
So, according to the above Ford link, they are not competing in capacity or power improvements in 2015 with a 2014 Dodge. Must be they have too many problems with what they have in the field:hehe::hehe:

1 - 20 of 35 Posts