Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Help with oil pressure

713 Views 7 Replies 4 Participants Last post by  AH64ID
Okay, I know I'm beating a dead horse here, but I'm a little confused.
I just installed a NAPA oil pressure gauge. Took the plug out of the top of my filter mount and ran the pressure line into the cab where I hooked up the gauge. Started up the truck and it slowly built up to about 70 psi. Does that sound right?
And I got a luminated gauge that said I just need to tap into one of my factory gauge lights to get it light up. Didn't want to take the dash all apart if there is an easier way.
Thanks in advance.:popcorn:
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
235 Posts
oil pressure sounds about right to me, as far as the lights, you can tap off the back of the light switch on your dash. pretty sure its the orange and white wire. thats where i got the power for my pods.

· Premium Member
6,781 Posts

· Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys! I was a little worried when I saw oil in the pressure line, but I guess it makes sense. I just had nightmares about having the gauge explode while going down the road, shooting engine oil all over the cab!

· Premium Member
10,324 Posts
Thanks guys! I was a little worried when I saw oil in the pressure line, but I guess it makes sense. I just had nightmares about having the gauge explode while going down the road, shooting engine oil all over the cab!
Which is why my oil psi gauge has an elec sender :thumbsup:

Cold idle will be from 65-70 at idle rpms, and up to about 83-85 if you start driving at 2K rpms + with COLD oil. There is an interal bypass in the pump that tries to regulate the psi to 75.

Normal warm cruise is 60psi, warm idle is 20psi. Normal cruise psi is from about 1800-3200. I find my psi drops above 2200 about 2 psi after a few miles, it must warm up a little more. (Which is why Dodge disabled our dash gauge.. goes from 20 to 60 in about 1000 rpms.. really freaked people out to see it climb or fall that dast)

I am monitoring pressure on the opposite side of the block by the ECU, so my psi may be a few lower than where you are reading it.

Be sure to blead your gauge for quicker and more accurate readings.

· Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks, that's really helpful. This morning I took it out to get fuel and stuff, and noticed that it dropped down to about 20 psi at an idle when it was warmed up and I though uhoh. I was also leaking a little at the filter housing side, so I disconnected it and put the old plug in until I could focus on it some more.
I'll try again tomorrow.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.