Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just installed the Lorenz Billstien 5100 series kit on my 2500 diesel.( 2008 ). Everything is good except at speeds greater than 40mph if I hit an expansion joint, or a good size bump, the truck shakes wildly. This has never happened before the kit was installed. I got the IR plush coils and the dual purpose leafs with the kit. Anyone having problems with this severe shaking, and how did you fix it? Do I need a drop pitman arm????

·
Registered
3,515 Posts
you need to make sure your trackbar and steering linkage are on the same plane, parrallel to one another, if you dropped your track bar then you need a pitman arm, if not make sure everything is tight first, just by chance if you have the y steering setup, you may want to check your toe, these set ups like to have a slight toe out setup, usually around 1/8", and it does make a huge difference

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
not real familiar with that kit, but the wobble you speak of is a COMMON problem with dodges. Most call it "death wobble". There are numerous factors that contribute to the problem. First of all make sure that all of your steering linkage is tight. If there is any play in any of your linkage it can compound the problem. If all of this is good, next place to look is at the Caster of the axle. The caster can be changed with the factory alignment cams on the front of the lower control arms. I have found that by turning these cam bolts to the most rearward position (bottom of axle as far back as possible) is the best for avoiding death wobble. Hope this helps you. There is a lot of information on this problem, and a lot of possible solutions.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
I have run that exact same kit for almost a year. Absolutely no problems at all.

Sounds like you have a death wobble problem. Usually that is steering linkage or trackbar related. Another possibility is worn ball joints. Have everything checked to make sure it is not worn or loose.

Search the forum for the steering recall. You may want to look into that also.

·
Registered
381 Posts
have you called Shawn? if not give him a ring he's always helped me out asap on any issue I've had.

·
Registered
170 Posts
have you called Shawn? if not give him a ring he's always helped me out asap on any issue I've had.
find the tech that forgot to tighten or retighten your trackbar. its loose

·
Registered
64 Posts
Did the issue get resolved?

There is a TSB from Dodge on the subject. There is probably something worn or loose in your front end. Dodge has a list of things to check in the TSB.

Adjust the Caster to max spec when you have it aligned. More caster gives the truck a more stable ride. Same concept as a raked-out Chopper, they can't turn worth a dime, but they're stable on the freeway.

Also try rotating the tires. This works for some guys. Do the simple things first. If it goes away with a rotation then swap one of the tires back to the front. Still good? Swap the other to the front, if you get the wobble back then you just narrowed it down to a soft walled tire that's given up the ghost.

Sean

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
find the tech that forgot to tighten or retighten your trackbar. its loose
:ditto: I have the same kit and it drives great. The track bar bolts need to be TIGHT!!! Like a 150ft lbs tight. I had one that was loose and actually lost the nut. Thank god the tie rod kept the bolt from falling all the way out. After getting a new nut and thighting the hell out of them shake went away. Good luck

·
Registered
10,739 Posts
I've been running the 2.25 for 11,000 miles now and never had it realigned after install, no problems. Ditto on the tightness of the trackbar. The Lorenz lift works within the parameters of the stock setup. My friend's '07 with $6,000 worth of Carli equipment developed DW after a few high mileage Baja trips. In his case the new '08.5 steering upgrade fixed it. These frontends are tempermental.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
( D. W. )

OK, I had another alignment done and the caster was maxed out. Also rotated my tires. (X Patern) Problem got better, but now instead of wobbling at approx 40mph, it wobbles at anything over 65mph. Someone mentioned the 08.5 newer design steering components; is this a recall? I'm now going to try to get a set of the adjustable bal l joints from northstar, and see if that does the trick. I'd hate to buy new tires as mine have a lot of life left, but that might be next.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Good luck with the steering recall after you installed the lift unless you have a good dealer, their going to tell you its because of the lift if their anything like the dealers around here!

·
700hp Club
2,199 Posts
OK, I had another alignment done and the caster was maxed out. Also rotated my tires. (X Patern) Problem got better, but now instead of wobbling at approx 40mph, it wobbles at anything over 65mph. Someone mentioned the 08.5 newer design steering components; is this a recall? I'm now going to try to get a set of the adjustable bal l joints from northstar, and see if that does the trick. I'd hate to buy new tires as mine have a lot of life left, but that might be next.
it is a recall and see if you dealer will do it. i had the same issues with mine after i installed the Kore and 33's, my dealer upgraded the steering and i added the BD steering box stabilizer, no issues at all now, drives and steers GREAT.:party018:

·
Registered
3,515 Posts
ive been through this several times, doing all upgrades and different types of fixes.... almost everytime the track bar had some sort of issue, bad bushing ,loose mount whatever, I HIGHLY RECOMMEND GETTING THE DROP BRACKET WELDED if you have a drop bracket, or the frame end bushing is junk, DEATH WOBBLE IS A SIDE TO SIDE MOVEMENT , THEN WEAK SIDEWALLS AMPLIFY IT, if youre running BFG tires they usually dont make it past 30000 miles and the sidewalls are weak.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts