Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Help with Colorado new Emissions

9K views 61 replies 19 participants last post by  brutal 
#1 ·
Hey guys,
I have recently purchased a 2004.5 5.9cr and am now faced with a quandary. As of this year, the magnaflow catalytic converter that came with the truck is no longer acceptable in Colorado. Does anyone have input on what I should do to obtain a "CARB" compliant cat that doesn't break the bank? Most of the craigslist and marketplace listing for a stock unit are either sold or fishing scams so far. I've been looking for almost two months now and am having little to zero luck. Thank you in advance for any assistance!

#31 ·
Hahaha you guys are great, even if this **** sucks coal pipe, I'm getting a great laugh out of it. And yeah, they replaced the entire system with a 4 inch magnaflow system for some stupid reason... stocker was 4 inch I'm fairly certain. The last time the truck saw pavement was 2016 haha. And holy **** you should see the rest of the place, it's like a scrappers wet dream... if it's metal and it got used... its probably half buried in the dirt out in the woods/pens.

#36 ·
Haha you have no idea! They were pulling a 26ft gooseneck horse trailer fully loaded with the gov solenoid issue and the truck stuck in 3 up Cheyenne Mountain until it just stopped moving... the direct drive was welded together. I learned quite a bit about the 48re to say the least.

#37 · (Edited)
Poor truck. nice to see you're bringing it back to life.

My 04.5 HO 2500 before I sold it. dumb dumb dumb (but I needed a 1 Ton) and a bigger cab and more power and...

Tire Wheel Car Land vehicle Vehicle

After: Guy running a mobile welding business bought it, his first diesel.

Wheel Tire Automotive parking light Vehicle Sky

P.S. I still have a spare grill here but the chrome is bubbled. Can't seem to give it away.

#47 ·
Did Co. drop it for a while? I left the Denver area in the end of 03 to go to Phx., retired in15, and I came back to Pueblo West if early 17. I didn't look into the Co. emissions before I came back. I was more interested in finding a horse property and ended up here. I found out, later, that Pueblo doesn't do e tests.
I used to go to the old Shoenberg Dairy at 72nd & Sheridan for my tests... visual and opacity on a dyno. The Phx. area did visual, OBDII and opacity... snap throttle.
I just looked up the Co. test area and it looks like it's Ft. Collins down to the south end of the Springs metro area, Widefield I guess. It looks like Brighton is included but not Greeley. Is that still accurate? It sounds like Co. adopted CARB regs. Yes?
Diesel smog isn't statewide yet that I'm aware. Just the metro area counties.

Upthread I mentioned CARB is here with no vote or ballot measure thanks to Pollis.

I've had to smog my 04.5 in Doug Co since the "new" exempt sticker ran out.

#46 ·
Did Co. drop it for a while? I left the Denver area in the end of 03 to go to Phx., retired in15, and I came back to Pueblo West if early 17. I didn't look into the Co. emissions before I came back. I was more interested in finding a horse property and ended up here. I found out, later, that Pueblo doesn't do e tests.
I used to go to the old Shoenberg Dairy at 72nd & Sheridan for my tests... visual and opacity on a dyno. The Phx. area did visual, OBDII and opacity... snap throttle.
I just looked up the Co. test area and it looks like it's Ft. Collins down to the south end of the Springs metro area, Widefield I guess. It looks like Brighton is included but not Greeley. Is that still accurate? It sounds like Co. adopted CARB regs. Yes?

#56 ·
According to the emissions map I looked at, Colorado Springs is in the emissions area all the way down to the widefield/security area… Bummer. I avoided that by moving to Pueblo. Have you thought about Pueblo? It’s a lot cheaper and a lot of people commute to the springs. Also, Pueblo West has lots of horse properties and no HOA!

#60 ·
You can’t gut the cat in Colorado as they do the ping test on it. Trust me lol I brought my dads 97 Cummins from Texas not knowing it didn’t have a cat. Went to register it and was told what you were told. Has to be OEM. Either way I bought a refurbished OEM cat but never put it on as I sold the truck in order to buy my daughter a car for her 16th bday. I still have the cat and it’s listed on Facebook if you’re interested. I’m in Westminster.

#62 ·
You can’t gut the cat in Colorado as they do the ping test on it. Trust me lol I brought my dads 97 Cummins from Texas not knowing it didn’t have a cat. Went to register it and was told what you were told. Has to be OEM. Either way I bought a refurbished OEM cat but never put it on as I sold the truck in order to buy my daughter a car for her 16th bday. I still have the cat and it’s listed on Facebook if you’re interested. I’m in Westminster.
I've never heard of a Colorado diesel testing facility doing this. Where is your info coming from?

They do a tailpipe sniff and check for intact parts based on factory equipment.

#61 ·
I lived in the N-W areas for 33 years and I used to take my 97 to the old Schoenberg dairy at 72nd and Sheridan for emissions. I gutted out the cat but the shell was still there and it passed the visual and the dyno tests just fine.
I was in the Phoenix area for 13 years and it passed the snap throttle test there.
I’m in Pueblo West now and there’s no e tests.
What does Colorado do for diesel testing now?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.