Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
2004.5 5.9cr, AFE Intake, Custom Turbo Elbow, Gauges (EGT, TRANS, BOOST), Built Trans, S06
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,
I have recently purchased a 2004.5 5.9cr and am now faced with a quandary. As of this year, the magnaflow catalytic converter that came with the truck is no longer acceptable in Colorado. Does anyone have input on what I should do to obtain a "CARB" compliant cat that doesn't break the bank? Most of the craigslist and marketplace listing for a stock unit are either sold or fishing scams so far. I've been looking for almost two months now and am having little to zero luck. Thank you in advance for any assistance!

·
Registered
2006 2500 4x4, spinny wooshy thing, bigger sticks, toothpick trans, wallet weight reduction mod.
2,442 Posts
Find someone with a stock cat that'll give it to you for the price of shipping. We cut them all off here in Kentucky. If I had one I'd give it to you but that's been many many years ago.

·
Registered
2004.5 5.9cr, AFE Intake, Custom Turbo Elbow, Gauges (EGT, TRANS, BOOST), Built Trans, S06
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you! That's kind of what I was hoping for by posting that, maybe even someone in state that would let me "rent" one for my test haha.

·
Premium Member
2,180 Posts
Hit up a muffler shop and see if they got any laying around . Rod it out and put it on !

Reactions: AdamRRT

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I wish a muffler shop would sell me one here, their all afraid of violating the new laws :(

·
Registered
350 Posts
I was going to suggest rock auto but I just checked your truck. They sell them but it says not for use in Colorado.

EDIT: Rock auto has ones from newer trucks in stock and some are CARB compliant. Same with Powerstrokes of your vintage. Wouldn’t those work? A muffler shop may have to weld it in.

3,500 Posts
How did the smog station even determine that you had an aftermarket cat installed?

Reactions: elephantrider

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Yeah^^^^.... I left Denver in Dec. 03 and they weren't checking that close. My 97 had a gutted cat and it passed the test and I was outta there. Are they still doing a visual and the dyno opacity tests?
Maybe check CL for Pueblo and southern Co. ... Stock diesels are rare here.

·
Registered
2012 Ram 3500 Laramie G56 CCSB
20 Posts
If its a federal truck (non-california emissions built) according to CARB and the EPA u are not required to run a CARB cat, a federal (your magnaflow) will work fine. That saying if it did fail the smog test for the sniffer test after Colorado switched to CARB, they will require a replacement to be CARB legal. But as long as the Federal cat was fitted before the new policy it is legal and should pass. But.... during times of new laws/rules most smog inspectors get all sketched out and fail stuff that should pass. I see it alot in Califorina with out of state cars brought in. I would personally take it to a inspection place that knows what they r doing.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'll see what I can do, but I had to rebuild the entire exhaust and can't prove the magaflow was installed prior to this year so I'm sure I'll catch hell. I'm just going to start asking random 05-08 5.9 owners that I see on the street if I can borrow their cat for 4 hours and see if I find a winner haha!

·
Registered
737 Posts
Try a local wrecking yard.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I know the ebay listing says not for sale in California and New York. As of January 21 that applies to Colorado as well unfortunately. As for the wrecking yard... it is illegal to resell catalytic converters in the state of Colorado. I have looked into all of these suggestions quite thoroughly as this is not the first vehicle I have worked on or had to do emissions certification on. This is however the first cummins diesel I have had to do this for and Colorado doesn't screw around apparently. I'm honestly considering flying to Arizona and just registering it there for 58$ round trip.

3,500 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I went to the E-Check for my two Duramax's and while I was there I had a lengthy discussion with the shop manager about the new laws. He said if I had a reciept for the magnaflow and the install that I would have a better chance of getting it grandfathered in. However, I purchased the truck from the stables where I work and they had it registered as a farm truck (no emissions required) and don't have any receipts. Hell, when I started working on it the downpipe was completely rubbed through and no longer attached to the turbo elbow due to a worn out motor mount. I really do appreciate you guys calling out all the options though!

·
Registered
2020 3500 HO 4x4 SRW CCLB
748 Posts
I know the ebay listing says not for sale in California and New York. As of January 21 that applies to Colorado as well unfortunately. As for the wrecking yard... it is illegal to resell catalytic converters in the state of Colorado. I have looked into all of these suggestions quite thoroughly as this is not the first vehicle I have worked on or had to do emissions certification on. This is however the first cummins diesel I have had to do this for and Colorado doesn't screw around apparently. I'm honestly considering flying to Arizona and just registering it there for 58$ round trip.
Thanks to Gov Polesmoker, CARB is now in CO. without so much as a whimper. No ballet measure, no voting.

·
Registered
2006 2500 4x4, spinny wooshy thing, bigger sticks, toothpick trans, wallet weight reduction mod.
2,442 Posts
Someone on here has to have an old one laying around. Come on guys. If I had one still I’d give it to ya. That’s crazy.

3,500 Posts
I'm missing something here..

The Magnaflow cat is nearly the same size and looks nearly identical to the stock 2004.5-07 cat.

Even if the Magnaflow cat is not as effective as the stock cat how would the smog station even know?
How about if you had a stock cat hollowed out? How would the smog station know?

Unless your truck is lifted 10" on 24x14" wheels and is loud as heck with no muffler, are they going to scrutinize the cat that closely?!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Haha I'll give it a go! Truck lost a tranny line last night after a fresh rebuild so now I'm spending my day pulling the pan to check everything. It's like Murphy's law... yall tell me that I should give it a try and BAM! Something else goes wrong. Only drove it about a mile with no fluid so hopefully I don't have cooked clutches.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts