Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was having issues with my 4wd not working. im sure its vac leak but have been unable to pinpoint it and its cold. so i took it off to shim it. now my question is this....i can move the fork over manually and then plug the two holes on the diaphram and the fork is holding. i cannot push it over with my hands. can i just put it back in like this without shimming it and let the diaphram hold it like it appears to now? and my doing this, will my 4wd light stay on all the time or only when i shift into 4wd? thanks

background. i know the diaphram is good since its holding like described above. the switch works because i jumped it and the light on the dash comes on. the vac switch on the transfer case is new. my vac lines are a mess but i have not been able to see something evident but im sure thats where my prob is. right now im just trying to get 4wd cheap in case it snows so i can make some $$.

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
It should just stay in 4wd now like that and yes your 4wd switch should stay on as long as the fork is in the engaged postion

·
Registered
978 Posts
I've heard of a manual engagement for these cad axles that uses a cable (like an old manual choke). Not sure if it was a kit, or home-made. A search may shed more light on that if you're interested..

·
Registered
117 Posts
I've heard of a manual engagement for these cad axles that uses a cable (like an old manual choke). Not sure if it was a kit, or home-made. A search may shed more light on that if you're interested..
It's called a posi-lok and they work great. I've got one in my Chevy and I'll never go back. Only issue I've had with it is that the cable stretches some and I had to readjust it after the first winter. Other than that, no complaints.

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
I have the posi-lok on the 01 in my sig. Definitely worth it!

·
Registered
70 Posts
I also have the Posi-Lok system and really like it.

For a free fix, you can remove the cover on the axle, remove the e-clip from the shift fork, slide the shift fork over to the engaged position, and re-install the e-clip on the other side. My brother was having this problem on his truck and without moving the e-clip over, the shift fork would gradually move back over and the 4x4 wouldn't work again. When you move it over to the engaged position, your 4x4 light will be on.

This could become a bigger problem if you were only partially engaged (as compared to full or no engagement) and were in 4 wheel drive as the splines would probably strip or the coupling would crack.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.