Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just bought a bone stock 2001 2500 reg cab 2wd cummins with 267,200 miles. Has an auto tranny and owner said he just did a total front end rebuild. Has never had any type of hitch in bed, and never pulled anything. Just used it as a fleet vehicle for his company. Is there anything I need to look out for and check reguarly? Any mods I can do to increase the engine and trannys life? This is my first diesel so I am new. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
first thing is to get some gauges (boost, fuel psi, EGT's,and trans temp) then before you do any modes to the motor get a after market trans cooler and valve body upgrade, the trans in the dodges are not known to be all that strong compared to the motor, but they will hold up ok with just a little love lol

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
:agree2:

But I need to add if it is totally stock you might think about installing an after market Lift Pump (Fuel Pump), the stock Carters don't have the best reputation. This is why one of the 1st items on the list is a Fuel Pressure gauge.
If funds are tight I would do gauges in this order Fuel Pressure, Trans Temp, EGT, then boost. That protects the two most costly items 1st.
With an Auto check the fluid,if it is dark and dirty change it.
:party018:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts