Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
US Army June 78-June 06
1,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,
Well I just got back from a trip to Moab, UT with my new toy hauler. On the way I stopped at a public scale just to see where I was at.
CGVW was 22,700lbs. So now I need so help to make my truck "All it can Be" . Pulling Cabbage I was down to around 40 MPH and I also overheated my truck.

While at Moab I pressure washed the radiator which seemed to help the engine getting warm some.

So far I have;
Replaced the VP44 with a Blue Chip VP44
Edge Juice w/Attitude
MBRP 5" exhaust
AFE Stage II cold air intake
Banks intake manifold
BD Pluse exhaust manifold
Vulcan big line kit
Holley Blue pump

Rancho RS9000XL shocks
Firestone air bags
Blue Diamond gooseneck hitch

My trailer is a 28' TNT gooseneck with a 10'4" camper mounted on it. I got 8MPG on the way down at 65MPH and 10MPG on the way home at 60MPG.
So what am I looking for?? A little more power to tow with but nothing crazy, better cooling so I don't overheat and if possible better MPG.

I know I will need a new auto tranny at some point. I bought the truck used and it had been used to tow with but with a 5th wheel before. So I wonder if the tranny had been upgraded before?? How could I tell without taking it apart?? I have a stock turbo at this point.
I moved up to 285 tires so it has hurt my power a little. I have 3.55 gears right now.

So what would you guys do at this point??? Also I just picked up some Edge Stage II injectors that I was waiting for a new turbo to install.

·
Registered
55 Posts
BIgger turbo will be the best upgrade, will also keep engine running cooler , tow twins would be a great choice if thats in your budget ,but with that the head will need to be studded

·
Registered
1 Posts
Change to 4.10 gears. I don't know if there are any Cummins that went further with 4.56.... smaller tires should help with the towing, but expect reduced speed for your truck. I don't know if there are any larger radiator options for you, a larger ones with more cores and a high volume pump should help. I think you're pushing it to the limit... that's the beauty of this truck, few trucks can handle this much stress...

·
Registered
55 Posts
Ok what turbo??? This is all new to me.
The cheaper set of twins would be the hx-35 hybrid / ht3b. have a buddy in colorado that has about the same set up with this twins he dynoed right at 500hp but the best part was he could keep his foot in the floor and didnt have to back out of it,he said with pulling 10.000 lb his egts wouldnt get higher then 900 degrees

the more expensiver set would be industrial injections phat shat turbos, although probably the most reliable,then there are bd twins and many more

here are some links
hx/35/ht3b = PDR Diesel Performance: 1998-2002

industrial injection= Compond PhatShafts

bd turbo = BD Power - Product: Super B Twin Turbo Kits

·
Registered
60 Posts
My old 99 use to do the same thing when pulled the same set up as yours. I put in a new thermostat, and flushed the radiator. That kept it cool. I wanted it cooler so i dropped in a cooler thermostat for the summer pulling and it solved the problem.

i added also electric fans and put in the warmer stat and it set me right were i wanted to run.

·
Registered
271 Posts
I see no problem with the set up.

I would never think of pulling a load like that with an Auto tranny.
Never.

5 or 6 spd. manual with an exhaust brake and then your truck'in.
The 3500 dually package would fit your pistol.

A super duty shift kit and converter and cooling system on that Auto is a must have.

·
US Army June 78-June 06
1,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I see no problem with the set up.

I would never think of pulling a load like that with an Auto tranny.
Never.

5 or 6 spd. manual with an exhaust brake and then your truck'in.
The 3500 dually package would fit your pistol.

A super duty shift kit and converter and cooling system on that Auto is a must have.

Ok so an auto is good or bad???

Yes I'd like to have a manual tranny too. But at this point and time I can't/won't get rid of my truck so I need to make it work for me.
I was wounded in Iraq and an auto is just a better deal for me. So what do I need to do to make this LIVE??

I got the regear the truck, clean the radiator.

But after that then what? Do I just replace the tranny or wait for it to have issues? And a little more power isn't a bad thing. So bigger single turbo or maybe twins???

·
Registered
205 Posts
The auto is fine, but the 5 speed or 6 speed would be way better, but if you cant drive a manual, then go and have your tranny beefed up or replaced and beefed up when it goes out.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Ok so an auto is good or bad???

Yes I'd like to have a manual tranny too. But at this point and time I can't/won't get rid of my truck so I need to make it work for me.
I was wounded in Iraq and an auto is just a better deal for me. So what do I need to do to make this LIVE??

I got the regear the truck, clean the radiator.

But after that then what? Do I just replace the tranny or wait for it to have issues? And a little more power isn't a bad thing. So bigger single turbo or maybe twins???

With the twins A heavy duty towing trans from gorend brothers transmissions. would work great

Goerend Transmission Incorporated

Or a suncoast is good too
Sun Coast Converters Diesel Transmissions, Fort Walton Beach FL

Both are reliable transmissions

·
Registered
271 Posts
I would get the tranny beefed up before putting any more power to it. Twin turbos will kill it for sure.

Tranny shops suggested would be the ticket. Then you won't have to re-gear it because the tranny mods would take care of it sending all the power to the rear wheels.

You need the auto. so no problem sticking with it.

·
Registered
565 Posts
North American Diesel Performance, claims there Heavy Hauler transmission gained over 200 more foot pounds to the ground in dyno testing, over a stock auto trans. I'm sure you'd see similar results from other big company's.

·
Registered
271 Posts
North American Diesel Performance, claims there Heavy Hauler transmission gained over 200 more foot pounds to the ground in dyno testing, over a stock auto trans. I'm sure you'd see similar results from other big company's.
200 is a large gain when pulling.
This is rated at the rear wheels where it counts.:thumbsup

·
Registered
112 Posts
Get a NEW radiator and electric fan(s) set-up from someone and leave the rest of it with what you already have.
Service your trans and use a better fluid, stay out of OD and carry on. Bigger this and that for what you are doing is a tuff pill to swallow. I'd consider forced air trans cooler (a big one with a fan) instead of the OE combo setup will help keep things cooler if you decide to not replace the radiator and just having it rodded out. Have a look at replacing your fan clutch with a heavier duty unit and take another trip and check the results.
Getting a bunch on money involved in a overheating problem without addressing the cooling system IMO isn't
positive.

Flame On,
pc :thumbsup

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Get a aluminum radiator, upgraded intercooler and put a "mystery switch" to be able to lock up the converter in 2nd gear.

As far as the trans goes, get a billet input shaft, torque converter and valve body. I perefer Goerend Bros trans.

Cool you truck down first, then add power. HP Makes heat, and the more HP you have the more heat the engine has to shed, so start were you need too.

Merrick

EDIT: Most likely the reason the motor overheated was because the trans overheated. What were your tranny temps pulling the hill?

·
US Army June 78-June 06
1,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Get a aluminum radiator, upgraded intercooler and put a "mystery switch" to be able to lock up the converter in 2nd gear.

As far as the trans goes, get a billet input shaft, torque converter and valve body. I perefer Goerend Bros trans.

Cool you truck down first, then add power. HP Makes heat, and the more HP you have the more heat the engine has to shed, so start were you need too.

Merrick

EDIT: Most likely the reason the motor overheated was because the trans overheated. What were your tranny temps pulling the hill?

Tranny temp was between 175 and 190. Runs around 150 normally.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Rick, it was great to meet you and your kids in Moab, Sorry we couldn't wheel together and that we missed the Birthday party. We didn't get out of Prichett til 6 that day. had a great time though.

I think a new turbo/injector combo and some 4.10's will be in order to haul all your stuff up any grade at 70. I've been fightin with some of my own issues but not lookin for near teh power you are...... Yet. :w:

Glad you got back OK and good luck with you CTD upgrades.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts