Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
The front end is good, front drive shaft is good, uJoints are new, there is only one thing left unless you guys know a secret? I was told that these chains get slack and skip over time, the Tcase makes the same noise in high or low range. So at this point the last move is to pull the Tcase and rebuild it. Believe me I do not want to pull the Tcase and rebuild it but I need a functional 4wd system.

·
Registered
3,859 Posts
You may be right but it doesn’t make sense that the case would make noise without actually driving the front end. It’s only spinning the yoke. No load, no reason for the chain to jump. The only other thing could be is it’s really low on oil. That would bugger the chain and make it ratchet no matter what

·
Registered
14,356 Posts
It's still legal to think first and then act.

You claim that the front end is good, but have you checked it? Pulled the cover and made sure that all the spider gears are intact, for example.

Besides, most of these components can be checked, sort of, by turning things and finding out if everything feels right.
If you don't like analytical trouble shooting, at least don't take anything for granted.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Is it possible that the t-case solenoid isn't fully engaging the t-case? I havent had an issue with mine, but the solenoid on the axles have been known to fail occasionally both in and out of 4wd. That would be an easier fix too

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I did pull the cover, i did check the gears, i checked the hubs, replaced the Ujoints, inspected the front driveshaft and it was replaced fairly recently. I then removed front driveshaft engaged 4wd and had no noise. Its not in the front end or the drives shaft, its in the Tcase. I was told that because the truck has a live axle front end and 190,000 miles on it the Tcase chain is stretched and skipping on the gears.

·
Registered
14,356 Posts
I was told that because the truck has a live axle front end and 190,000 miles on it the Tcase chain is stretched and skipping on the gears.
Well then it must be true. Too bad you don't have IFS, then the chain would've been pristine, right?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Is it possible that the t-case solenoid isn't fully engaging the t-case? I havent had an issue with mine, but the solenoid on the axles have been known to fail occasionally both in and out of 4wd. That would be an easier fix too
I do not have an axle solenoid I have a live axle, my drive train is spinning 24/7.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Well then it must be true. Too bad you don't have IFS, then the chain would've been pristine, right?
I not complaining, I knew when I purchased a truck with 180,000 miles I would need to replace a few things. I paid cash for the truck and set aside money for repairs. I did not want a new truck because I knew I was going to delete the truck.

The truck I bought is a one owner 2500 laramine mega cab, no hitch on the bed, only pulled a 20' boat its entire life. All maintenance was performed at the dealership per the schedule, carfax was perfect, no dents few minor scratches. $24,000.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Looks nice. I like the bumper too is that colormatched ranchhand? At a 180k miles a transfer case rebuild wouldnt be a total waste of money anyway, especially for piece of mind since it is hunting season or close to it in most parts. Plus if u live where it snows, even more so.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Looks nice. I like the bumper too is that colormatched ranchhand? At a 180k miles a transfer case rebuild wouldnt be a total waste of money anyway, especially for piece of mind since it is hunting season or close to it in most parts. Plus if u live where it snows, even more so.
Yes the bumpers are color matched and a must for the bump gates on our high fence ranch. We don't deal with crazy deep mud or snow in this part of Texas, its more slick or gummy, without 4wd you just sit there and spin.

I love the truck, i only wish I would have tried a Dodge Cummins sooner. All of my other trucks have been powerstroke or Duramax.

·
Registered
14,356 Posts
I not complaining, I knew when I purchased a truck with 180,000 miles I would need to replace a few things. I paid cash for the truck and set aside money for repairs.
That's a good approach, and a good looking pickup.
But just because you have money for repairs doesn't meant that you should waste them. Pinpoint the problem(s) first, then repair what's needed.

·
Registered
254 Posts
2012 was the last full year model for live front axle. 2013 (maybe a half year running change?) got CAD. I'm only aware of this because my 2012 4wd took a dump and I could not find the front axle actuator. Cause it ain't there. If you can change the oil filter from the bottom, it isn't CAD. The dash controls work the same for both CAD and live front. My problem was the TC encoder. The chain spins always in both CAD and live axle. The driveshaft and front 4wd TC case hubs don't turn when disengaged with CAD. Still, the TC chain always rolls when rear wheels are turning in both versions.
Even with 'constant mesh' front axle, the TC case is not engaged when in 2wd.
You could be losing the 4WD TC sliding clutch. Not sure how BW fails...? Seems you would hear the noise from beneath the seat?
Front diff gear oil clean?
Does the steering jerk when it pops? Could be a hub or stub issue?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
2012 was the last full year model for live front axle. 2013 (maybe a half year running change?) got CAD. I'm only aware of this because my 2012 4wd took a dump and I could not find the front axle actuator. Cause it ain't there. If you can change the oil filter from the bottom, it isn't CAD. The dash controls work the same for both CAD and live front. My problem was the TC encoder. The chain spins always in both CAD and live axle. The driveshaft and front 4wd TC case hubs don't turn when disengaged with CAD. Still, the TC chain always rolls when rear wheels are turning in both versions.
Even with 'constant mesh' front axle, the TC case is not engaged when in 2wd.
You could be losing the 4WD TC sliding clutch. Not sure how BW fails...? Seems you would hear the noise from beneath the seat?
Front diff gear oil clean?
Does the steering jerk when it pops? Could be a hub or stub issue?

The oil filter on my truck comes out through the bottom. I have been through the entire front end and everything is good. Today I ordered a new chain and as soon as it arrives I will go through the TC and replace it. There is no jerking of the steering wheel just a clunking noise when i give the truck power in 4wd, if im rolling there is bo noise. In 2wd there is no noise, vibration or steering pull, the truck drives great.

·
Registered
42 Posts
If you are in the Denton/Sanger/Decatur area it may be worth letting one of the tech's at Red Horse Motorsports give it a listen. I have heard they are really good and with that much wrench time they may be able to run it around the block and tell you EXACTLY what it is. That is probably where mine will go when it fails and I am 7 hours from there.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Carefully check for damage in the TC front drive locking mechanism in the front output drum. Even tho I cannot see that slipping unless on soft ground with wheel spin.
Could remove the encoder and manually shift the TC thru the 3 ranges. Should feel smooth with positive engagement detents.
Could also relate to the neutral tow mechanism. Not familiar weith BW TC case faults.
Be interested in what you find.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts