Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am not new to diesels or turning wrenches but this is my first Cummins and could use a hand.. I bought a 2013 Ram 2500 mega cab 4wd and when I engage 4wd I get a popping on the drivers front only under power. It feels like an old school Chevy auto hub when they go bad. Every time I give it some power I get a ( clang, clang, clang ) until I let off the torque. If I'm just driving without giving it and real pedal it does not make any noise. Could I have some axle splines slipping or something?
Thanks

·
Registered
14,296 Posts
What year? CAD or not?
I'd guess CAD and it not engaging correctly.

Oops, just noticed that you already mentioned that it's a '13. Now I can't remember if that has CAD or not. Probably not, huh?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This is my first Ram I have no idea if its cad or not. I have a knob on the dash for 4x4 with a neutral button under it for 4H or 4L. It is a Laramie if that helps. If you tell me what to look for I will go outside and check.

·
Registered
14,296 Posts
If memory serves me (it fails frequently), the 4500/5500 got CAD in '13, the pickups in '14.
There should be a large "lump" on the right (passenger) side on the axle tube if you have it.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No lumps, it looks like a standard solid front axle like a Dana 60, no electronics, no cables. I did see that the drivers side U-joint is trash and has slack in it.

·
Registered
14,296 Posts
Sounds like you found your problem.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Why does it feel like slipping splines? Do you really get that much feedback from a bad ujoint on these Rams. Would you guys just replace that one or do both? Is there anything else I should replace while I have the front end appart?

·
Registered
14,296 Posts
Why on earth would you only replace one?!?
And I would change the seals and anything else that seems even a bit worn while being at it. Mechanical bits rarely self heal.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I plan on changing everything, I assume your talking about axle tube seals. Does anyone know the MOOG pn for those Ujoints? I am also going to change all the steering and ball joints if they are bad

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well its not the Ujoints because I just replaced them and I still have that noise when I engage 4wd. Its when I give it throttle in 4wd, it goes to clunking.

·
Registered
14,296 Posts
If you haven't checked it already, what shape is your transfer case in?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I will pull the front drive shaft and engage 4wd, if the sound is gone I will pull the T-case. I need to get this fixed, hunting season is on us and I dont have time to screw with dumb stuff. I need to go through the boat and the side by side, oh and I have 20dz decoys that need painting. Sorry for venting.

·
Registered
14,296 Posts
Pull the drain plug so you can check for slop in the chain. If parts start breaking in there it gets expensive.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Anyone have a link for a DIY walk through on T-case chain replacement without removing the T-case. I saw a YouTube video of a guy doing an 08 but I do not know if that is the same as my 2013.

I was also told that all you need to replace is the chain, the gears very rarely ever need to be changed.

·
Registered
14,296 Posts
Does that mean that you found that the chain is stretched?

·
Registered
14,296 Posts
So you're buying a new chain and taking the 'case apart before knowing if the chain is still good?
And if there's anything in the fluid that shouldn't be there.

Sounds like a dealership approach to me: change parts and hope, until the problem goes away.

Reactions: Electrojake
1 - 20 of 36 Posts