Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So this week my truck had the waterpump replaced and today I installed my CFM+ intake along with a grid heater delete. I drove the truck a few miles to the store and parked it without any signs of a problem. I returned to the truck, started it and drove it across the street to another store, again with no signs of a problem. Upon returning to the truck and starting it, there was a very loud knocking sound and extremely rough idle. I immediately turned the truck off and popped the hood to look for any signs of something wrong, obviously didn't see anything. Tried starting one more time and checking for any codes with smarty (no codes) and truck still knocked really bad. Any ideas?

· Registered
189 Posts
Was the truck overheated when the water pump went out on it? If it got hot enough it could have done some engine damage.

· Premium Member
3,778 Posts
Are you still under warranty?

· Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well I should still be under the Cummins warranty I am just worried that they will look for reasons to void it. For instance, I have 2 cycle oil in the fuel and 39" tires on the truck.

· Premium Member
3,778 Posts
I wouldn't be too concerned about the lift and tires. How much 2 cycle did you use? Many on here use some 2 cycle in their fuel but IIRC the 04.5+ like it much.

· Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I put 16 oz. in and had a bout 3/4 of a tank and am only down to 1/2 a tank. I am thinking about draining the tank and swapping fuel filters to get the blue out.

· Premium Member
478 Posts
almost sounds like while it was parked it had one of the valve seats drop on one of the open valves. but that usually only happens on the early 03/04's that had the valve seat problem.

did your truck get really hot before the pump got replaced?

sorry i just re-read post #3.

· Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
As of right now we are thinking it is an injector. Sound like it to anyone else?

· Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well I talked to the service writer today and was told that my problem is water got sucked through the intake and in to the motor causing this problem. The tech wasn't available to talk at that time. I find this hard to believe because I haven't washed the truck in over a week and it has seen no rain or puddles, and has been driven daily. I am going to try to get in touch with the tech.

· Premium Member
3,778 Posts
That seems a bit far fetched. :banghead:

· Registered
115 Posts
Well I talked to the service writer today and was told that my problem is water got sucked through the intake and in to the motor causing this problem. The tech wasn't available to talk at that time. I find this hard to believe because I haven't washed the truck in over a week and it has seen no rain or puddles, and has been driven daily. I am going to try to get in touch with the tech.
WOW. thats a good one.:umno: Look at the simple stuff first. No sence removing a cylinder head or an engine based on guesses. Isolate which cylinder (if any) the knock is coming from. based on the history of the repairs I first would look to see if somthing was'nt installed correctly when the water pump was replaced.

· Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I am about to head over to the dealer to try to talk to the tech and see where we go from there...

· Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So just back from the dealer...now they think sand got through the intake and into the motor. Dealership is waiting on Chrysler to get back to them to see if they are going to cover the motor on warranty and offer a new motor.

· Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Just got back from the dealer, this time I talked to the tech who was working on it and asked him to show me the sand in the intake and turbo. He complained that he was gonna have to take it apart again but did it anyway. the lid to the air box has some water spots on it and there was a very thin layer of dust on the inside of the turbo. He then went on about how when he wacks the air filter against something no dust flies off meaning they don't know if it was their filter in there that failed. which makes no sense to me...

so know we are waiting for the DM to decide if it going to be covered or not.

· Registered
1,964 Posts
the lid to the air box has some water spots on it and there was a very thin layer of dust on the inside of the turbo. He then went on about how when he wacks the air filter against something no dust flies off meaning they don't know if it was their filter in there that failed. which makes no sense to me...
Sounds like he's insinuating that because the filter looks too clean, maybe you had an aftermarket filter or CAI and returned everything to stock before bringing it in to them.

· Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
That is exactly what they are insinuating...the filter is not very clean though, it just doesn't dump dirt out of it when you shake it. The things is, there is no way for me to prove that I never had an aftermarket intake on it or that I kept it stock; on the other hand, there is no way that I know of for them to prove it either, especially since it has been stock the entire time. Not really sure what is going to happen, I do know that they are not going to want to replace the motor so they are going to try to find anyway they can to void the warranty.

· Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
So they are not going to warranty my truck. The DM called the dealership and told them not to go any further with it. She said that since there was sand in the air filter and near the turbo the warranty is void due to a foreign object getting in. This is what she told the dealership, I have not been able to speak with her. I called the customer care line and they said there is nothing they can do because they cannot go over her head.

So now I am stuck with a broken truck and still don't have a solid answer as to what is wrong with it. Does anyone have any suggestions for me?

If by chance something did get in the motor and that is the cause of all of this, what would be an estimate of the repair costs? Its got to be cheaper than buying a motor, right?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.