Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys I need some help. Dad has a 08 6.7 6 speed. Dpf and egr delete, anddioblo power pb puck. He was goin up interstate ramp and trying to get up to traffic speed when all of a sudden white smoke put poured out and truck went into limp mode. Truck has 65000 miles. Check the oil and shows none on the stick and had liquid out of tail pipe. Black like oil. Anybody have any ideas ?

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
If I had to guess, it sounds like the turbo blew a seal and dumped oil out the exhaust.

3,181 Posts
hows the texture of the liquid? is it like oil or coolant?

a blown HG will also leak a liquid from the exhaust, hows it smell

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Smells like fuel . This truck has had a very easy life. No trailers or nothin.

3,181 Posts
hmmm smells like fuel and coming from the exhaust... im not diesel tech but a thought a diesel ran off air combusting with the fuel and exess fuel being black smoke.. could a leaky injector cause fuel to go into the exhaust... and white smoke

·
Registered
404 Posts
I don't know, but it could've just went into regen. My 07.5 with edge juice with attitude went into regen with the deletes. From what i remember it was just white smoke coming out of the pipe. I dont remember any liquid.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That's kinda what I had in mind but not so sure. Was just askin to see if anybody else had ever had this problem. It starts and idles fine with no noise but idle is all it will do. if you push the gas pedalit still just idles.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Mine would run fine. It would just white smoke like crazy. I dont think mine ever went into limp mode though.

·
Registered
46 Posts
hmmm smells like fuel and coming from the exhaust... im not diesel tech but a thought a diesel ran off air combusting with the fuel and exess fuel being black smoke.. could a leaky injector cause fuel to go into the exhaust... and white smoke
Yes. I have seen it happen in person before. Back in '09 my buddies Duramax started doing the same thing the morning we loaded up to go to a dyno and pull. He said "fug i think my injectors just crapped out" and went anyways. Exhaust temps on the dyno got so hot it blew a 10" flame out the stack. 1 week later after we checked it with Efi live and saw the balance rates he sent it to the dealer. They put a new set in for him and the problem was solved.

But as CBE6.7 said it could be going into regen.

Edit: his smoke was more of a greyish white haze.

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
If I had to guess, it sounds like the turbo blew a seal and dumped oil out the exhaust.
Been there and done that. Low on oil and oil in the exhaust...turbo seal most likely the problem. Sounds like it is in limp mode. Did it light up the Check Engine Light?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts