Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
O.k., so I decided on a truck. It's a 2001 Dodge Ram 2500...aww hell, here's the link.

Cars For Sale: Car Details - AutoTrader.com

It has the banks power package, and I don't know what that comes with exactly besides intercooler and exhaust.

Mainly, what am I looking for and asking about when I get there on Friday to really give a good once over before I hand over a check? I really need all the input that I can get. I want a truck that will last a long time, and I don't know what to ask them before buying. I've asked about the 53 block and they can't find it stamped anywhere so I'll have to look when I get there. I asked about the gears in the rear and the salesman said he had a Cummins guy come in and look at it and said that judging by a label/stamp on the pumpkin that there was 3.73's in there. I don't know, but I hope so. I'm a first time owner, but surely not my last and I want to make sure it's right. Help me please!

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Back up lady! This one is mine! :T:

Just kidding...I think it's a good truck too. We'll find out Friday though.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Man that looks good! I would pay very close attention to the transmission. Make sure it shifts properly and doesn't slip or lag. I'd say that is one of the major things to put under the microscope. Also the fuel pump. If it has fuel pressure gauges make sure it's high enough. Don't know what the pressure needs to be though. Maybe someone else can chime in.

·
Registered
2,796 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Transmission shifting...Check!
Fuel Pressure....check! Well, not check, because there is no FP gauge on it. What should the pressure be?

I'm glad you guys agree with the one I'm looking at.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
O.k., I got the truck. I can't tell if it's been tuned or not with any of the banks stuff. I'm not sure. All I know is it shifts great, runs like a top, is noisy as hell :beer, and DOES NOT SMOKE. I swear it wouldn't even leave a haze at night in headlights behind me. I don't want it to smoke really, but I just thought it was odd that it had none.

What next? I know I need a fuel pressure gauge, but I need to find an install guide.

Is there anyone here who has the Banks Power Package on their 01? What does the Banks program do for the truck? I let a guy drive it who has an 01 dually with a 40 hp programmer on his and he said mine has awesome power. I'm not sure, because I've never driven a stock 2nd Gen ( that I can recall ).

·
Registered
33 Posts
Yeah i have the same year truck except 2wd. Lots of power and tourqe. i love the truck except for the fact that i just blew out the tranny :CRY: Be careful,if you notice that there is a long lag time between 1st gear and 2nd gear, time to start saving :$:

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Congrats on the truck. Check out Diesel Distributors USA. They are a forum sponsor and they have an awesome deal on gauges right now. With install instructions as well. Get that fuel pressure gauge and EGT Temp and Trans Temp gauges. Don't go above 1200* on EGTs or 210* on the tranny. Now that you have those power adders you may want to upgrade the tranny. Torque Conveter and Valve Body. It all depends on what you want to use it for. Lots of knowledge on here :thumbsup

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
CumminsNewbie.....How long is a long lag time. When it's cold it will hold first longer than when warm. I think that's normal though.

DieselRookie...The tranny is my main concern and why I don't want to get crazy with the truck.

I already have a hotrod, but I do want to monitor all I can so why not just get the Edge Juice with Attitude. Not for the power so much as the fact that I can monitor so much in one device. The power adders are nice, but that will be used after a few other things area in check. I want to make sure the truck is right and is getting enough fuel first.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts