Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My truck was acting a little strange over the last few days. Intermittently, and randomly the throttle would burp every now and then. There was never any consistency, it could be when accelerating, decelerating or just cruising but never threw any codes. Then on my way home from work yesterday it went nuts, bucking like crazy and I had to pull over and shut it off and then it was better for a few kilometers and then happened again, the CEL came on and I limped it the rest of the way home. Checked the codes and I get:
Pcu: p1693
Ecu: p0121, 0563, 0113, 0606, 0577, 1475, 0343, 0123, 1286
The majority of them are for various circuit voltage high. Before we all start blaming the alternator, I checked and AC voltage reads 0.03, and charging voltage is steady at 14.4. I checked all the grounds I could find and they all appeared clean and tight. None of the gauges stopped working or acted strange at all either. I cleared the codes and disconnected the quad and went for another drive and it did the same thing all over again. The current ECM in the truck is a used one that was put in in October when the original one took a dump and caused a total no-start condition. On a side note, I always have trouble getting a scanner to connect and read/clear codes. It usually takes many tries to get a result, it's been like this for the 3 years I've owned it.
I'm stumped.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Batteries are also new. Sorry, I should have mentioned that.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Had this happen on mine last week, some on the same codes, we narrowed it down to the ECM so had the shop order new one from dealer for $1200 hopefully it'll be done tommrow

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So I cleaned up all the battery and ground connections (I actually had a bad positive on the passenger's battery) with no result. I have another used ECM on the way, we'll see if that clears up the issues for the time being. I'll post back with results when I get it in.

·
Registered
2,830 Posts
x2 on ECM....

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just realized that I never came back and updated this. The replacement ECM did the trick. The truck is running strong again.
Now I just need to figure out what keeps killing computers in my truck. I still have trouble getting my code reader to connect.

·
Registered
4,916 Posts
Check the alternator for noise. The AC current can kill computer components.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Already went over that in the first post.

·
Registered
4,916 Posts
Sorry should have asked these first
Was it done with a high quality meter on the stud on the back of the alternator or on the batteries?

·
Premium Member
9,734 Posts
Replace the obd2 connector with a new to you one from a salvage yard car. There is rumor the Chevy ones are better quality, but in either case the contacts loosen up over time and cause a poor connection

·
Registered
2,830 Posts
there's a reason the ECM fried. hopefully you just bought a faulty replacment originally. since No AC noise..

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
checked with 3 different meters from the alternator output to the battery negative terminal.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have a 07 dodge 67 Cummings it died on me a few days ago I need a wiring diagram for the ECM can anyone help me not getting power to the ECM

·
Premium Member
285 Posts
1 - 20 of 20 Posts