Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Heck if I know
3,760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I leave my house set the J/A on 4 the truck truck is already warmed up from driving 15 min before. Throw some smoke in 2nd and 3rd now I am at 30mph stop at a stop light less then 3 blocks from my house and it starts skipping and sounding like a popcorn machine. Then the check engine light comes on. I quickly turn right on red at no turn on red light thankfully there wasnt a cop, and pull into a parking lot. Truck will barely run. I shut it off check the codes clear them start it back up runs the same clears up for a split second gets back then runs fine. I set the J/A on 0 and drove it to my shop.

This is the code it threw
P2149 Fuel Injector Group 2 Supply Voltage Circuit.

·
Heck if I know
3,760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
how do I check the injectors with my Ohm meter??

·
Premium Member
25,250 Posts
Just a guess, but check the connection at your injector harness.

Dodge | Commins | Forum

·
Heck if I know
3,760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
all conections are good no loose wires

·
Premium Member
25,250 Posts
If you eliminate the J/A, it will eliminate one possible cause. But I would check and or clean the connections at the injector harness.

Dodge | Commins | Forum

·
Heck if I know
3,760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
How do I check my injectors??

·
Heck if I know
3,760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Guys I will be away from my computer for the next couple of hours. I have plans I cant get out of, then its back to the shop latter tonight. So if anyone wants to chime in anything will be appreciated. Thanks BBram for starting the ball rolling, Im going to bump the thread with my phone while I am away

The only code I am throwing is the p2149 and the key sim but thats always on

Later tonight I will start the truck up and feel the manifold for a cold cylinder and figure out if there is a bad injector or if there is a bad wire

How do I check the injectors with my volt meter on Ohms?
Do I have to take the valve cover off?

·
Registered
96 Posts
I guess I am just going to start by pulling apart all the electrical connectors under the hood and cleaning each one with contact cleaner and a toothbrush and put a coat of di-electric grease around the connectors and just roll with it. I'm planning on taking a camping trip with the 5th wheel soon and I am scared of having issues while we are on the road with the family. But I dont know what else to do.
My truck started running like crap on my way to work last week, threw a code P2149. I nursed it to work. later that day I went out and restarted it and it ran fine. CEL cleared before I got home. Been fine ever since. I hate intermittent problems.

·
Premium Member
25,250 Posts
I can only assume group 2 would be the rear 3 injectors? Don't you fellas have 2 injector harnesses, versis the 03/04's having 3?

Dodge | Commins | Forum

·
Pursuing the Great Commission
9,779 Posts
The 06s also have 3 injector harnesses, so this would be dealing with the rear connector and two pins on the center connector. Bulldogbones, if you're good with your ohm meter, I can try to send you the troubleshooting for this DTC. :thumbsup:

·
Heck if I know
3,760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The 06s also have 3 injector harnesses, so this would be dealing with the rear connector and two pins on the center connector. Bulldogbones, if you're good with your ohm meter, I can try to send you the troubleshooting for this DTC. :thumbsup:

I wont say I am a genious but I can run one. send it my way

um correct my if I am wrong but I am pretty sure I only have 2 injector harness's. The reason I think that it, my J/a only hooks into two injector harness's

·
9,779 Posts
took a look again at the service manual, for whatever reason they are showing 3 injector harness connectors on the 06s, but when i pulled up the 07 SM, it showed the two long flat ones, so I'll send you that one. PM me your e-mail address because i have it in a PDF, and can't post it :confused013:

·
9,779 Posts
Have you disconnected the J/A under the hood yet? :thumbsup:

·
Heck if I know
3,760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yeah I unhooked it. Drove it no problems so I hooked it back up and still no problems. I am really hoping that it was just dust or some sort of dirt on the connections.

·
9,779 Posts
and actually it could have been a bad connection on one of the injector harness connectors that is now cleaned with unplugging and plugging back in.

Shoot me a PM with your e-mail and I'll send you that PDF incase it does it again :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
25,250 Posts
BBRam scores again. :lol4:

J/K, Good to see your trouble free again. :thumbsup:

Dodge | Commins | Forum

1 - 18 of 18 Posts